Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for maintenance loan as independent student and I didn't know that if I don't provide my parents income I won't be able to get full maintenance. My question is if I can ask them to include my household?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sherin1992)
    Hi, I applied for maintenance loan as independent student and I didn't know that if I don't provide my parents income I won't be able to get full maintenance. My question is if I can ask them to include my household?
    Hello :-)

I'm a little confused by your question. Are you saying that you're living alone at the moment and that you want them to include your own household income?

If so, I'd ring Student Finance and explain your situation. Mature students can get student loan and obviously the majority of them live on their own or with their own families so there must be a way of going about it. Give them a ring.

ReputationRep:
    I applied as independent student as I live alone for more than 3 years however I'm under 25. I recived the decision that I got the maximum avalable loan not based on household income. I'd like to know if I can include my household income to get full maintenance loan. As it seems like independent students need to provide that as well to get full support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherin1992)
    I applied as independent student as I live alone for more than 3 years however I'm under 25. I recived the decision that I got the maximum avalable loan not based on household income. I'd like to know if I can include my household income to get full maintenance loan. As it seems like independent students need to provide that as well to get full support.
    If you are applying as an independent student under 25, you will automatically be assessed on your own income rather than that of your parents as long as you applied to be income assessed. You will need to prove that you have earned sufficient incone to have been supporting yourself for three full years before the start of your course. The minimum is £7500 a year. If you applied to be assessed as an independent student, then you should already have been given the maximum available based on your own income.

If SF have asked for proof of your income and you provided it, then the decision you've had will show you the maximum you can get - as long as SF have completed processing your income proof. If you think you could get more by using your parents' income instead, this would not ge possible as you have already bern successgully assessed as being independent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you are applying as an independent student under 25, you will automatically be assessed on your own income rather than that of your parents as long as you applied to be income assessed. You will need to prove that you have earned sufficient incone to have been supporting yourself for three full years before the start of your course. The minimum is £7500 a year. If you applied to be assessed as an independent student, then you should already have been given the maximum available based on your own income.

If SF have asked for proof of your income and you provided it, then the decision you've had will show you the maximum you can get - as long as SF have completed processing your income proof. If you think you could get more by using your parents' income instead, this would not ge possible as you have already bern successgully assessed as being independent.
    Hi, Sorry to hijack.

I am leaving my full time employment (have been for over 3 years but am 22 so will be classed as an independent student).

I am moving back home due to costs of living etc of course.

I am a little confused because, if it is done on your own income, my income will be 0? As I will be leaving my full time job to start my full time degree? Does this mean I will get the maximum loan?

Or on the other hand, I have earned around 16k per year the last 3 years. Is this what they take into account? Previous years? As all my salary over these years has gone on rent etc and I have no savings etc.

If I don't get the full maintenance loan, there's no way I will be able to afford uni or live?

This is important as I would not quit my job if I cannot get funding.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum213)
    I am a little confused because, if it is done on your own income, my income will be 0? As I will be leaving my full time job to start my full time degree? Does this mean I will get the maximum loan?
    Yes, yes and yes.

Or on the other hand, I have earned around 16k per year the last 3 years. Is this what they take into account? Previous years?
    No and no.

If I don't get the full maintenance loan,
    You will.

there's no way I will be able to afford uni or live?
    You will.

This is important as I would not quit my job if I cannot get funding.
    You should because you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Yes, yes and yes.

No and no.

You will.

You will.

You should because you will.

Thnaks very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.