Do you want to keep the UK in the EEA? (PETITION)

Watch this thread
hippohops
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-uk-in-the-eea

What do you feel about it?
also it was not me who made this petition
Legendary Quest
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Yes.
FredOrJohn
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
what would the point of that be?
That is basically being in the EU but without a say.

That is the worst of all options.

For me its the EU or I'm not bothered, I'll just apply for Irish passport (Grandparents)
welshiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
NO.
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Not in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yes, and I think that's the most likely outcome, but it would still be absolutely ridiculous because we'd be in practically the same situation as we were before just with less control.
paul514
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FredOrJohn)

For me its the EU or I'm not bothered, I'll just apply for Irish passport (Grandparents)
Educate yourself that option solves the single market issue, sovereignty issue, democracy issue, trade deals outside the European Union done by us, allows none Eu exporting companies not to have to adhere to eu regulations which is over 95% of companies. Allows us control of taxation and even has an emergency brake when levels of Eu migration is too high.

The price is we still have to pay a fee, we lose our 9% of voting power but anytime we have opposed anything we have lost anyway and we still have a form of free movement.

Get an education

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Do we get to do our own trade deals if in the EEA?
paul514
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Do we get to do our own trade deals if in the EEA?
Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elmi
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
How would it impact the immigration status, would they have to abide by the EEA rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sisuphos
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Elmi)
How would it impact the immigration status, would they have to abide by the EEA rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's "they"? the EEA in general allows for free movement of labour among its members (which includes the EU+ a few more countries).
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If it was on government petition site then I would sign, otherwise no.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by paul514)
allows none Eu exporting companies not to have to adhere to eu regulations which is over 95% of companies
Is that true? Does that mean that 45% of our exports to the EU are done by only 5% of our exporting companies?
paul514
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Is that true? Does that mean that 45% of our exports to the EU are done by only 5% of our exporting companies?
Correct. It's 12% of our gdp

Posted from TSR Mobile
ATW1
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I am going to start a petition to ban all EU related petitions.
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FredOrJohn)

Why are you in such a panic about being affected by a lack of free movement if you can just do that anyway?
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Educate yourself that option solves the single market issue, sovereignty issue, democracy issue, trade deals outside the European Union done by us, allows none Eu exporting companies not to have to adhere to eu regulations which is over 95% of companies. Allows us control of taxation and even has an emergency brake when levels of Eu migration is too high.

The price is we still have to pay a fee, we lose our 9% of voting power but anytime we have opposed anything we have lost anyway and we still have a form of free movement.

Get an education
EEA members have to apply all the single market legislation to their domestic markets as well so this affects all firms whether or not they export because the single market rules apply to the domestic economy if you're in the EEA. The EU employment law will apply to all UK firms, competition and state aid rules, consumer policy, health and safety at work legislation, social policy, company law, gender equality law, climate and energy policy etc - all has to be applied in full across the UK ec

The parts that don't apply to EEA members are: agricultural policy, fisheries policy, justice and home affairs (UK had some opt outs in this anyway though), foreign policy and external trade.

In the EEA you get to strike your own trade deals and have a free trade agreement with the EU but that means exporters have to satisfy Rules of Origin checks when they export to the EU (basically to stop outside countries exploiting a loophole if the EEA member has a lower tariff than the EU common tariff, and trying to export there and then get it shipped on directly to the EU).

The emergency brake that EEA countries have is pretty weak - its basically to bring the EU to the negotiating table. It's a temporary brake that then has to be discussed with the EU but the European Commission has final say on it.
username944192
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Nope
FredOrJohn
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Get an education

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to get some commonsense.

EEA is basically a slave state to the EU - no say no nothing, just do as they say.

Anyone who wants the EEA needs their head examining.

Its the EU or its just shiiit.

BREXIT is the worst thing to happen to this country since WW2.

Its a national disaster. Its also a continental wide disaster.
Alfissti
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It isn't needed, one can still trade with the EU and the rest of Europe without being in the single market.

Might as well withdraw from it as you will still need to pay to access the single market, I much rather we followed WTO rules and let the markets decide if our products are good enough for import duties.

The only thing I could foresee being an issue is whether the financial services industry could survive without full access but then rules are made to be broken
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (103)
40.23%
They're exactly what I expected (62)
24.22%