Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am deciding my A-Levels and want some advice on what you think. I wanted a range of subjects but I was wondering if these are too different from each other. Grades are not a problem and I already have an AS in Critical Thinking and I would like to do:

Philosophy and Ethics (OCR) - AS Level
    Mathematics (AQA) - A2 Level
    History (OCR) - A2 Level
    Music (AQA) - A2 Level
    Extended Project Qualification/EPQ (AQA) - A2 Level

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna have to say that those are pretty much the most random bunch of A-levels I've seen someone take. But lol it's up to you, do you know what you want to do in the future or at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rileypa)
    Hi,
    I am deciding my A-Levels and want some advice on what you think. I wanted a range of subjects but I was wondering if these are too different from each other. Grades are not a problem and I already have an AS in Critical Thinking and I would like to do:

History (OCR) - A2 Level
    Music (AQA) - A2 Level
    Have you got any idea what you'd like to do/study after A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Have you got any idea what you'd like to do/study after A Levels?
    I don't really know. That was sort of the point of doing a range of things. Hoping I could cover one. I am quite intrested in the PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics).

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know. That was sort of the point of doing a range of things. Hoping I could cover one. I am quite intrested in the PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics).
    May I suggest perhaps swapping Music for another subject? Economics, Politics or Geography would go well if you're thinking of doing PPE

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say but it might be a good idea to try pick something soon as a lot of unis require or would prefer you to have A-Levels in two sometimes 3 subjects for a course so if you decide you want to do maths most prefer you to have further maths or if you want to do PPE then most say they would like Economics. Have a look on UCAS for subject preferences for unis for courses
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi,

History (OCR) - A2 Level
    Music (AQA) - A2 Level
    I think it shows a wide range of skills, but it looks like you a still leaning towards essay-based subjects with History, Philosophy and the EPQ. It also shows that you have a range of interests and will make you an interesting candidate on a personal statement. I don't think it would be absolutely necessary to swap music for economics if you want to do PPE, as doing maths is enough for certain Economics courses.

For example, I just had a look at Durham's requirements for PPE and Maths is a necessity, alongside one arts/humanities subject (so Phil/History would cover that). You don't need to have done Philosophy, Politics or Economics at A-Level in order to get a place (I got this info here).

I think they're a really good mix of subjects that all utilise different skills

ReputationRep:
    Good mix, I was you I would probably replace music with something else but if you think you're good at if and you'll enjoy it stay confident with your four choices. I think it's much better to have a mix of subjects rather than take 3 sciences let's say. A lot of people I know did that instead of taking a broad range and realisesd that they didn't even want to do science at uni any more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.