The Student Room Group

My GCSE Summer Bucket List

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sleepinglions
Loving the layout of your thread, your bucket list looks like a good combination of fun & challenging!

All the best & have a fab summer :h:

omg thank you so much! :clap2::h::redface: Hope you have a lovely summer too your list looks really cool!!
if you meant to show any pictures in this thread, none of them are showing up
Reply 22
Original post by shawn_o1

Yeah I've just noticed that! Do you know if I need to have them in a certain format for them to work? The titles are working (as far as I can see) but I used an app to add text :/
Original post by LiiHyde
Yeah I've just noticed that! Do you know if I need to have them in a certain format for them to work? The titles are working (as far as I can see) but I used an app to add text :/

OK the pictures you uploaded to "canva" are showing, but not the pictures from a secure website that you took them from and tried to link us to:

Spoiler

Perhaps a better way is to save the pictures onto your device then upload them from there as attachments
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
OK the pictures you uploaded to "canva" are showing, but not the pictures from a secure website that you took them from and tried to link us to:

Perhaps a better way is to save the pictures onto your device then upload them from there as attachments

oh gosh thanks i hadnt realised!
Reply 25

Ok I think I might have fixed it now! :smile: Thanks for pointing it out :h:
This is such a good idea! I wish I could plan as much as this :laugh:Good luck with all of the remaining activities and if you happen to need a tour guide for Cambridge then feel free to ask :cute:
Reply 27
Original post by JamieGamez
This is such a good idea! I wish I could plan as much as this :laugh:Good luck with all of the remaining activities and if you happen to need a tour guide for Cambridge then feel free to ask :cute:

Awh thank you! That's really nice of you to offer (but I think we're having a family friend tour us) have a nice summer!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28

Tour Diary

So I tried to make a note when anything interesting happened during the journey (But I don't have many pictures as it was all fairly samey)

At school
So my Dad dropped me off a little late and as a result I missed the briefing! My friends said I didn't miss much so I just got straight onto packing the coach. The Upper school (that's me!) got a Double Decker coach (about 140 of us went) me and about 8 others decided to sit downstairs (easier to get off and what~not) but the teachers then made me and three of friends move to their seats upstairs, which we begrudgingly did until we realised that their seats were actually the four seats at the front of the bus! We had more space and an amazing view!

Down in Dover
We arrived at the port and got on an earlier ferry which we were quite happy about. We'd spent the way down playing Multiplayer Mario Kart and listening to my friends Drum and Bass music (which both me and him really like). I graduated from coming 4th in every race to 2nd by the time we finished playing (I'm quite happy 'cus my friends are like pros lol) and my two friends who had never even heard of Fox Stevenson had been converted and were singing along to Comeback.

Spoiler

On the Boat
I don't particularly like boat journey's so we just played card games (which I'm also no very good at)

Rest Stop
The journey was beginning to get a bit tedious and uncomfortable but we watched Zootopia to pass the time.

4.00 (am)
Possibly going insane
I think I slept for a minimum of 3 hours but a maximum of 5 hours and I woke up to find all my friends sleeping and their faces were classic. The guy I was sat next to had his mouth open wide. Next to him was my friend who had a wrapped himself into a cocoon with his blanket so all you could see was his ginger hair which was sticking straight up (#hairgelgoals) and then my friend with the great taste in music was going full on emo with his black hood down over his face.

Breakfast at the rest stop
Over the night haul we had traveled through France, Belgium and started to work our way through Germany. I'd never been to Germany and I have to say the tree's were really pretty. We sat in the cafe where we discovered that the Service Station was an unclaimed Pokemon Gym . We got very excited but sadly none of my friends were level five so they couldn't claim it (*cry cry* this is what happens if you download Pokemon Go as we reach the service station.)

*I would go to the trouble of writing about what happened but we legit did nothing but Mario Kart and Listen to Fox Stevenson lol*

FINALLY HERE
So according to our head of music we were supposed to arrive at the hotel at 14.00. We took 26 hours and arrived at 4ish, ouch. everyone was quite cranky in the kind of way that saying almost anything has you getting worked up about it and snapping. But we had arrived, and that TSR is the story of my first road trip with my school friends.

(I might post the one for the way back as it was a teeny bit more interesting)

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29

[video]https://youtu.be/6Yv2ARNHLHU[/video]

So yeah I decided I would post my tour video 'cus my friend was like "just dooo ittt"
I quite like making videos :smile:
Hope you like it

Lii
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30

Road Trip Journey Home:

14:00
So I basically chose the worst time to have a panic attack over my food (right before we left lol) and ended up sitting with the teachers on the lower level of the coach. It was kinda what I needed as I was too embarrassed to go back up to my friends straight away. I was a little lonely so I listened to music and basically slept for the first four hours of the journey. I think that was what I needed though, as when I woke up I was feeling much much better. (The teachers gave me two whole seats to stretch out over! I could see the looks that the girls sat near me were giving me, they could have curdled milk, not gonna lie.)

At the rest stop I met back up with my friends who told me some annoying guy had taken my seat at the front of the bus and that they kept complaining it was too bright. So they told me I had no choice in the matter, I was moving back. (luckily I didn't mind!)
So we went back to playing Mario Kart and listening to music. I also played some Professor Layton (because it is bae)

We had sushi for tea which we'd bought at one of the rest stops and one of my friends had bought themselves a whole water melon and a slicer which was really funny to watch him try and cut open on the bus.

23:00
After our final rest stop for the night, where we piled together all our tokens from the toilets to buy food (the cashier man was not impressed) and got back on the bus. The teachers had to come up and tell a load of people they weren't allowed to sleep on the aisle. And that was when I had the brilliant idea of sleeping across all four seats that my friends were sat on. Very comfortable. I definitely recommend it. It was fine up until about one in the morning, as one of the guys was playing Mario Kart and every time I was asleep nearly fell off the seat my friend would catch me as he was being kept awake by the competitive swearing match from the Mario Kart game.

Finally people were beginning to sleep, and the Mario Kart game had finished, which made it easier to sleep. Which was fine until I woke up to find my friend had fallen asleep against my face, scaring me to death but then he woke up and started talking gibberish which was really funny to listen to.

By this point I wasn't really asleep (but I think my friends would argue I was) so I decided to move back to my seat and quote my friend who told me "You were just moving so much and kicking and speaking about something weird" I believe I managed to take down a curtain pole and accused my friend of being a wizard. #thatssleepdeprivationforyou.

I think I eventually fell asleep on my friends lap and when I woke up we were at the port in Calais being given out our passports. The teacher gave mine to my friend/pillow (lol) who had gone and looked at my photo whilst I was still sleeping. Luckily he didn't show it to anyone else. (I look like a miserably bored and slightly confused weirdo) We made the mistake of eating luke warm yogurt for breakfast before getting on the ferry which was the worst idea ever. We felt so incredibly ill it was disgusting.

07.00 - Home
Being cranky and tired I can't say terribly much happened between Dover and arriving back at school other than me and my friends planned to watch both season 1 and 2 of a TV series the next day (lol we missed each other that much already). But it was nice to finally be home

Except this heat. Austria was really cold in comparison what even is this weather ew.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31

It has been sooo hot and humid near me recently making it perfect beach weather!
The water was really cool and refreshing and there were lots of smooth stones perfect for skimming in the moments of calm between waves.
I went for a quick swim at the start but spent most of the day sunbathing behind the windbreak. (Having just got back from Austria I was still very tired)
I had sushi for lunch (because sushi is bae) and had a girly chat with my Aunts about boys. :3

I did the usual with my cousins, covering them with stones, finding the smoothest stone etc
A bird dropped a load on my brothers foot too which was really funny XD
Also when I got home I noticed what I thought was a red mark from where I had been sitting on my leg... but then I realised it was the worst sunburn ever. WEAR SUNCREAM KIDS. I have burn all up my arm and my shoulders and my legs which makes it painful and difficult to move with. *cry cry* I promise I did wear suncream though :blushing:.
Reply 32

When I was in Austria there was this cute little hut selling cheap postcards (40 cent each) where I bought a thick wad of cards to post of to the various relatives and friends I had written down the addresses for.
The concert we had arranged to do that day way cancelled due to bad weather so I had plenty of time to write out cards to each of my friends and family.
I kept them with me and even sacrificed most of my shopping time in Salzburg to try and track down the nearest post office, after being informed by a friendly shopkeeper that the closest one had already closed and that shops don't sell you stamps unless you buy their postcards I had to admit defeat.... THEN on the last day we discovered that the hotel sold stamps! #miracle so I doubt they will arrive until way after I get home I'm glad I was able to get them sent off
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
This is such a lovely thread! Brought a smile to my face :smile: and I'm loving the music and ballet you mentioned! I recently went on my school's music tour, my journey was 16 hours to Germany so I feel so sorry for your 20hours! I also made loads of time-lapse videos of the journey which you might like to do as you're taking film? **update: just relaised you've already done Austria, whoops** But that depends if you have a window view I guess haha. If you can't get rid of all your text books, I reccomend depop or ebay to sell them (though it's more likely to sell during exam season, so I'm waiting till next year to sell mine) or give them to the younger years :smile: Hope you have a lovely summer!~
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by ceilele
This is such a lovely thread! Brought a smile to my face :smile: and I'm loving the music and ballet you mentioned! I recently went on my school's music tour, my journey was 16 hours to Germany so I feel so sorry for your 20hours! I also made loads of time-lapse videos of the journey which you might like to do as you're taking film? **update: just relaised you've already done Austria, whoops** But that depends if you have a window view I guess haha. If you can't get rid of all your text books, I reccomend depop or ebay to sell them (though it's more likely to sell during exam season, so I'm waiting till next year to sell mine) or give them to the younger years :smile: Hope you have a lovely summer!~

Ah thank you! I'm glad you like it (I wasn't sure if any of my blog was terribly interesting to read so yay!) I use to love making time-lapses! (but I don't have a phone that does them anymore) I had a really amazing view actually so that would of been so good! I'll have to try and do that next time! Hope your tour wasn't too tedious!

I think you're onto something there about selling them on depop... I might give that a try! Thanks for the idea :wink: xx hope you have a magical summer :h:
Reply 35
Aaah I love Cambridge it's so pretty with all the crazy vibrant fashion and the beautiful architecture.
We went punting which was really fun despite the canal being so busy (some amateur punter fell in!) luckily we had an experienced guide who was based slightly further out from the other punting company's so we had a calm ride from the dock into the main stream where we could have a go at punting ourselves. We saw lots of the different colleges and the mathematical bridge which was really cool. They have lots of funky bridges there! I like the look of the university colleges but I don't really fancy going there myself for some reason (which tbh is completely fine as I heard you have to get a minimum of 7A* at GCSE to be considered at Trinity. Like no thanks, I don't need that pressure in my life lol)

We had a look around a museum and then went shopping where I bought a cute dotty scarf for a pound and a watermelon smoothie which was a m a z i n g
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36

[video]https://youtu.be/PFGXTMbWbaQ[/video]

Here is one of the pieces I played in Austria!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37

Ballet Feet Positions
One of the few things I actually gave up on as a kid was ballet. I can't really remember why just that I never liked the teachers and it didn't interest me particularly. Of course now I will look back on that and wish I had seen the romantic stereotype that sort of comes with it. Jk I know nothing about ballet. But during revision I'm sure I'm not the only one who has those moments where you think of all the fantastic things I could be doing instead of revising...No? Ok well sure lol.
Learning Ballet feet positions seemed like a cute idea and I think it was just nice to know that it wasn't too hard :smile:
I even drew some pictures (which I think I spent more time making than actually doing the positions myself...)
But don't worry, I also took some pictures of me having a go myself *cringes* I doubt my technique is any good but I vaguely remember my ballet teacher talking about making a beach ball with your arms being the way to go...
So there's five different positions and I read somewhere that they are based off the positions that your feet fall naturally which is kinda cool, guess you learn something new everyday!

Spoiler

I honestly didn't realise there were arm positions for it too but I expect that's the bit I need work on XD.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38

Trying New Food
Well this one only sort of happened but not to the extent I had hoped for...
I tried the weird "noodles" they had over there (but that was legit just twisty pasta)
and I tried some of the soups they served us but not all of them :/
However I DID start eating croissants which I'm sure doesn't seem like a big achievement but honestly I wouldn't of even thought about trying them a month earlier (I have become quite scared of a lot of "unhealthy" food) so with the help of my friend I really challenged myself to try food by myself (basically lol)

I also tried schnitzel (but I had been practicing for that lol) and it was very salty. I don't think I'd want it again but I tried it, and that's what counts here :u:

So this was the last part to my Austrian Adventure so that's one small part of my bucket list completely completed :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39

I bought a really cute planner from Paperchase that runs from June 2016 to August 2017 which means I can already start using it which I'm very happy about. I haven't got much space to write homework down in but I don't really like school journals anyway so I think I'll cope :u:

I did a similar thing with my school journal in year 9 where I covered the front with a page I ripped out of an old atlas.
but this one is much much nicer and the stuff inside is much more relevant. I heard the six form school journal consists of a word search for "boob names" which some just looked plain derogative! So clearly I had to get my own journal :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest