Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to feel comfortable in your own body & wearing clothes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I would be posting in this section but often I think about this.

I love long skirts and dresses, not ones that show a lot of skin, more the maxi skirts kind of thing. I often feel awkward wearing them though, as if maybe everyone is looking lol. I know it is in my head but how do you get over this and feel comfortable? I like wearing jeans and different trousers most of the time but sometimes I want to wear skirts as I like them... But I often don't because I feel awkward or shy.

My body shape is quite thin, I am fairly tall, put more weight around my hips, thighs than anywhere else. I think because of this I feel like I look willowy and awkward in a dress and I don't know how to just be comfortable. I am quite a shy person in general so it's really because of this, I don't want to draw attention to myself but I am also very aware of when I look uncomfortable.

Any kind advice or stories you want to share is appreciated
    I know it is maybe a silly question but I think it is sad to feel uncomfortable in my own shape or clothes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittencat22)
    I never thought I would be posting in this section but often I think about this.

I love long skirts and dresses, not ones that show a lot of skin, more the maxi skirts kind of thing. I often feel awkward wearing them though, as if maybe everyone is looking lol. I know it is in my head but how do you get over this and feel comfortable? I like wearing jeans and different trousers most of the time but sometimes I want to wear skirts as I like them... But I often don't because I feel awkward or shy.

My body shape is quite thin, I am fairly tall, put more weight around my hips, thighs than anywhere else. I think because of this I feel like I look willowy and awkward in a dress and I don't know how to just be comfortable. I am quite a shy person in general so it's really because of this, I don't want to draw attention to myself but I am also very aware of when I look uncomfortable.

I know it is maybe a silly question but I think it is sad to feel uncomfortable in my own shape or clothes
    Whether we like it or not, fat and thin people look different in different things. You don't sound as if you dislike your body- more just need guidance on how to dress it. I would advice you to look at online shops such as asos, search clothes by your size eg size 10, then see what comes up. Anything available in your size will flatter your shape.

Although you mention preferring longer dresses and skirts and although shorter skirts and dresses are over sexualised and easily judged, they will probably swamp your figure less than long flowing dresses. I find knee length dresses flatter everybody. I myself would never be seen dead in anything above 2'' above knee due to my own personal morals and opinions on short skirts- but everybody's opinion varies.

Also, bardot dresses would flatter you if you claim you carry most of your weight on your lower half, because it will broaden your top half and give the illusion of an hour glass figure.

ReputationRep:
    Showing that you are comfortable in your clothes makes disproportions and all the figure flaws you're deep down insecure about less noticeable.

ReputationRep:

it sounds like a bodycon could suit you tbh. I have a pretty similar bodyshape and i guess i used to feel the same...just embrace your hips. next time you're out shopping just buy the thing your instinctively attracted by and just see how it goes xx

ReputationRep:

it sounds like a bodycon could suit you tbh. I have a pretty similar bodyshape and i guess i used to feel the same...just embrace your hips. next time you're out shopping just buy the thing your instinctively attracted by and just see how it goes xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.