Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Based on how I think my exams went, not going to get an AAAA or AAAB for AS levels. However i'm still interested in getting into medicine, if not the direct way then a more round the bushes way.

What are some degrees that I could do that would allow me to transfer onto a proper medical degree afterwards?

Also, what's the competition like for getting into a foundation course? More or less fierce than actual medical school?

Thanks in advance .
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AzeemA7860)
    Based on how I think my exams went, not going to get an AAAA or AAAB for AS levels. However i'm still interested in getting into medicine, if not the direct way then a more round the bushes way.

What are some degrees that I could do that would allow me to transfer onto a proper medical degree afterwards?

Also, what's the competition like for getting into a foundation course? More or less fierce than actual medical school?

Thanks in advance .
    You're talking about As exams? If so, then you don't need straight As as As. You just need AAA at a-level. Focus on getting those grades at A2. As long as you're still predicted AAA at a-level, apply as normal. If not, get the grades and apply during a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I've learned that taking a gap year isn't all the doom and gloom it seems to be, if anything, I'd rather be doing 6 years and getting into medicine than doing 3 years at another course and then doing 4 years totaling up to 7.

My question is though, let's propose I don't mind taking that extra year, and really, I don't mind at all if it means getting into medicine, what kind of courses could I do that mean I could later transfer onto a Medicine course after I've done it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've learned that taking a gap year isn't all the doom and gloom it seems to be, if anything, I'd rather be doing 6 years and getting into medicine than doing 3 years at another course and then doing 4 years totaling up to 7.

My question is though, let's propose I don't mind taking that extra year, and really, I don't mind at all if it means getting into medicine, what kind of courses could I do that mean I could later transfer onto a Medicine course after I've done it?
    Seriously, the most straightforward, and least competitive way is just to focus on getting AAA at a-level. And a gap year can be a great thing, plenty of time to gain experience, earn some money and grow up a bit.

Don't be aiming for GEM courses when you have the possibility of getting in as an undergraduate.

p.s. you don't 'transfer' on to medicine at the end. You complete a degree and apply through UCAS to medicine again. Graduate entry courses are far more competitive and it will work out much more expensive in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Miss Cat? I guess your right, any ideas for what I could be doing to enhance my personal statement and application in a gap year?

I've had a quick look at the Gap medics programme, which costs around £1000, are there any other programmes such as this offered to people.
    Also, should I perhaps consider getting a part-time job to make up for these costs?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks Miss Cat? I guess your right, any ideas for what I could be doing to enhance my personal statement and application in a gap year?

I've had a quick look at the Gap medics programme, which costs around £1000, are there any other programmes such as this offered to people.
    Also, should I perhaps consider getting a part-time job to make up for these costs?
    Do not pay for something like gap medics. Gap years are to make money, not to spend it on an 'experience' provided by a company. If you want to travel, get a job and save up and go travelling that way.

Do what you want in your gap year, get a job as an HCA, get more work experience, get a job (for money and for life experience- it doesn't have to be healthcare related), travel the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.