Turn on thread page Beta

Most interesting figures in history watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you've studied history then there is always someone that stands out as 'interesting' throughout time, maybe because of their atrocious acts or their rise to power.

I think that Abraham Lincoln was one of the most interesting figures in history. This is purely because he had a meteoric rise from being stuck in poverty to becoming President of the United States. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done for the country had it not been for his assassination.

As historians it's our/their responsibility to be objective rather than subjective- so if you think Hitler was 'interesting' then by all means say so!

Who do you regard as the most interesting figure in history?

ReputationRep:
    General Custer and Genghis Khan.

ReputationRep:
    Heinrich Himmler

ReputationRep:
    Leonardo Da Vinci
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Captain Cook.

ReputationRep:
    Nell Gwyn
    Thomas Willis (one of the first neurosurgeons)
    Alfred Kinsey
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Lyudmila Pavlichenko - The most successful female sniper is history (and probably one of Russia's most successful as well!)

Theyr'e not really interesting but their death always seems to make me laugh (it's stupid) - Fredrick Barbarossa from the Third Crusade, a military genius who drowned in a river.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    General Custer and Genghis Khan.
    I read in this history magazine that he had so many kids (through conquest), and that some of his ancestors can be traced all over Europe and Asia

ReputationRep:
    Rasputin, interesting because I have googled conspiracy theories about him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Rasputin, interesting because I have googled conspiracy theories about him.
    Likewise! I have heard a lot about him and he was quite the mysterious figure.. The whole situation behind how the Romanovs were killed is a bit of a strange one when you delve into it.

ReputationRep:
    Jack the ripper... who was he!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strangesquark)
    Jack the ripper... who was he!
    A bloke from Europe apparently :curious: Definitely one of the biggest mysteries ever!

ReputationRep:
    Elizabeth I and Anne Boleyn are utterly fascinating to me, and I think it all derives from the idea that historians know enough about them to know that they were genuinely compelling (for different reasons), but not so much that they become wholly 'knowable' or comprehensible to us. Their lives are already interesting to me, but the mysteries and legends surrounding them only add to the fascination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    Elizabeth I and Anne Boleyn are utterly fascinating to me, and I think it all derives from the idea that historians know enough about them to know that they were genuinely compelling (for different reasons), but not so much that they become wholly 'knowable' or comprehensible to us. Their lives are already interesting to me, but the mysteries and legends surrounding them only add to the fascination.
    The Tudors are really interesting! At college I did Early Modern History and we looked at Tudor Rebellions, which was completely new to myself but was really interesting at the same time. They pretty much crushed every rebellion but they dealt with the Irish quite severely :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Lincoln, and his presidency arguably led to one of the biggest civil wars that ever existed.

ReputationRep:
    Maximillien Robespierre :heart:

ReputationRep:
    I think Edward I, he's like something straight out of Game of Thrones... actually most, if not all, of the Plantagenet kings.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.