Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 and I was thinking if Physics would be the better option or does it really matter as I'll drop either of them in A2. I will be doing Maths, F.Maths Computer science and Business/Physics. Which of the subjects requires less work as I'll be focusing on my 3 main subjects? I'm usually alright with Business and at GCSE I'll probably get A/B. For my core science I've got B and for additional I think I will get another B. Does AS Physics overlap a lot with Maths and F.Maths( I'll be doing M1 in the first year and M2 in the second) ? In Physics I mostly struggle with the explain questions but I'm fine with the maths.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is definitely harder than Business. But there are several other things you'll have to consider
    1. Which subject do you think you will like more
    2. What course do you want to study after school. From your other choices of Maths (presumably Mech.), Further Maths and Computer Science, it looks like Physics would actually complement very well. However, more and more unis would like a fourth AS to be a humanity. This is not to say that you should just do any humanity. In fact, I have heard some rumours on the web that business studies is considered 'too easy' and might not actually be favoured. For competitive courses and unis, choice of A levels is CRUCIAL. However, I have to say that this all depends on what uni you want to go to and what course you want to study. I would suggest you actually e-mail the unis themselves. Perhaps they can shed some light on the matter. Also, look at their course website.
    3. Physics is an incredibly challenging A level and requires lots of effort even to get a decent grade. How confident are you in those other AS levels that you will actually have the time to devote a substantial amount of time to Physics?
    4. What exam board will you be studying for Physics? Difficult varies between the exam boards and each will be differently suited to different people.

If you tell me what course you would like to study, I could be of more help I suppose.
    In the meantime, this link might be of some help https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/arti...-a-levels.html.
    If it is not uni you want to do after school, I would suggest actually asking your future employer etc. for advice.
    It sounds like you would enjoy Physics very much. Remember that Maths and Further Maths do have some elements that overlap with Physics. This can only be a plus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace2233)
    I'm in Year 11 and I was thinking if Physics would be the better option or does it really matter as I'll drop either of them in A2. I will be doing Maths, F.Maths Computer science and Business/Physics. Which of the subjects requires less work as I'll be focusing on my 3 main subjects? I'm usually alright with Business and at GCSE I'll probably get A/B. For my core science I've got B and for additional I think I will get another B. Does AS Physics overlap a lot with Maths and F.Maths( I'll be doing M1 in the first year and M2 in the second) ? In Physics I mostly struggle with the explain questions but I'm fine with the maths.
    If you like physics I think you should go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emfs)
    Physics is definitely harder than Business. But there are several other things you'll have to consider
    1. Which subject do you think you will like more
    2. What course do you want to study after school. From your other choices of Maths (presumably Mech.), Further Maths and Computer Science, it looks like Physics would actually complement very well. However, more and more unis would like a fourth AS to be a humanity. This is not to say that you should just do any humanity. In fact, I have heard some rumours on the web that business studies is considered 'too easy' and might not actually be favoured. For competitive courses and unis, choice of A levels is CRUCIAL. However, I have to say that this all depends on what uni you want to go to and what course you want to study. I would suggest you actually e-mail the unis themselves. Perhaps they can shed some light on the matter. Also, look at their course website.
    3. Physics is an incredibly challenging A level and requires lots of effort even to get a decent grade. How confident are you in those other AS levels that you will actually have the time to devote a substantial amount of time to Physics?
    4. What exam board will you be studying for Physics? Difficult varies between the exam boards and each will be differently suited to different people.

If you tell me what course you would like to study, I could be of more help I suppose.
    In the meantime, this link might be of some help https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/arti...-a-levels.html.
    If it is not uni you want to do after school, I would suggest actually asking your future employer etc. for advice.
    It sounds like you would enjoy Physics very much. Remember that Maths and Further Maths do have some elements that overlap with Physics. This can only be a plus.
    Thank you for the detailed response.
    My exam board for Physics is OCR(Code - H156). I'm planning on going to either Imperial or UCL and doing a Maths degree. Their offer is A*A*A/A*AA with a grade 1 in STEP. As a back up plan I will go to King's college which requires AAA.
    As to how I feel about Physics, I like the part where you have to calculate things e.g energy,velocity but I usually struggle with the questions where you have to describe/explain e.g the life cycle of a star. So if it involves a lot of maths content I think I'll be fine.
    I think I will be fine with Maths and F.Maths but i certainly need to dedicate some time in Computer Science so in case I choose Physics I don't think I'll be spending a lot of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace2233)
    Thank you for the detailed response.
    My exam board for Physics is OCR(Code - H156). I'm planning on going to either Imperial or UCL and doing a Maths degree. Their offer is A*A*A/A*AA with a grade 1 in STEP. As a back up plan I will go to King's college which requires AAA.
    As to how I feel about Physics, I like the part where you have to calculate things e.g energy,velocity but I usually struggle with the questions where you have to describe/explain e.g the life cycle of a star. So if it involves a lot of maths content I think I'll be fine.
    I think I will be fine with Maths and F.Maths but i certainly need to dedicate some time in Computer Science so in case I choose Physics I don't think I'll be spending a lot of time.
    Heya, that's ok!

Well those are certainly admirable goals, and I wish you all the best. The fact that you're even thinking this far ahead is promising! Keep it up!

However, with that in mind I actually think Physics would be the best choice for you. I believe it is the best way for you to keep your options open for choosing which Maths degree you want to apply for (i.e. Maths, or Joint Maths and Computer Science, or Joint Maths and Computing etc.).

In fact, just from reading the Imperial guidance on Entry Requirements for the Joint Maths and Computer Science course (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...puter-science/) it says that they do not accept "ICT, Business Studies and General Studies" . I don't know if this means that they will actively 'delete' you from the application process or they will just ignore the qualification. Personally I wouldn't take the risk. Imperial also says on that page that Physics, though is not compulsory, would be a very useful A level for applicants to have studied. Imperial have also said this in their Mathematics BSc page (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...thematics-bsc/).

So for Imperial, Physics would definitely keep your options open. For UCL, on the other hand, didn't really give much other guidance on AS and A Level choice other than stating that Mathematics and Further Maths is compulsory (well duh... ). But this was only from a quick glance at their website. Kings college seems to also reflect this.

I would strongly recommend you give UCL and Kings a quick e-mail asking them about their position on Computer Science and Physics as A Levels, and indeed their thoughts on Business Studies. They probably get loads of similar questions and may even have the answer on an FAQ page somewhere on their website.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. If it were me, I would choose Physics. But I would also make sure that the unis would be OK with me not taking any humanity subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emfs)
    Heya, that's ok!

Well those are certainly admirable goals, and I wish you all the best. The fact that you're even thinking this far ahead is promising! Keep it up!

However, with that in mind I actually think Physics would be the best choice for you. I believe it is the best way for you to keep your options open for choosing which Maths degree you want to apply for (i.e. Maths, or Joint Maths and Computer Science, or Joint Maths and Computing etc.).

In fact, just from reading the Imperial guidance on Entry Requirements for the Joint Maths and Computer Science course (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...puter-science/) it says that they do not accept "ICT, Business Studies and General Studies" . I don't know if this means that they will actively 'delete' you from the application process or they will just ignore the qualification. Personally I wouldn't take the risk. Imperial also says on that page that Physics, though is not compulsory, would be a very useful A level for applicants to have studied. Imperial have also said this in their Mathematics BSc page (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...thematics-bsc/).

So for Imperial, Physics would definitely keep your options open. For UCL, on the other hand, didn't really give much other guidance on AS and A Level choice other than stating that Mathematics and Further Maths is compulsory (well duh... ). But this was only from a quick glance at their website. Kings college seems to also reflect this.

I would strongly recommend you give UCL and Kings a quick e-mail asking them about their position on Computer Science and Physics as A Levels, and indeed their thoughts on Business Studies. They probably get loads of similar questions and may even have the answer on an FAQ page somewhere on their website.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. If it were me, I would choose Physics. But I would also make sure that the unis would be OK with me not taking any humanity subjects.
    Thanks! I will definitely look up some more information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.