Turn on thread page Beta

Android Adware and Viruses Now Readily Available on The Play Store??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I wrote a recent article on my blog about something which has become a big issue: adware on Android.

For anyone interested this is the article: https://thetechtrip.com/2016/07/09/a...he-play-store/

Basically I'm going to try and explain what's going on.

I've noticed (and I dont know if I'm alone in this) that adware and malware software are coming packaged in various Play Store games and apps.

I downloaded a few games and noticed that they would completely disappear from my device, and at random intervals an ad would pop anywhere on my device without consent.

I later discovered that the games that disappeared were the ones causing the ad pop ups and that they were actually still installed on my device. I had to go into settings to completely remove the games.

This is an extremely scummy practice, but what I'm confused is why these games are still on the Play Store?!

I'm not kidding, you can download one of these games yourself and see what happens after a couple days.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160711-171226.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  250.8 KB
    This is one of the games! 100 thousand downloads and its still up?

Look at these reviews:
    Attachment 560696560698
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    It's just be cautious and using Common sense. I don't have time playing silly games!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    It's just be cautious and using Common sense. I don't have time playing silly games!
    Yeah, but that is not really a good solution. Google is allowing these games on the Play Store a place where A LOT of kids will be playing these "silly games".

And Diep.io is not a bad game in all honesty

But I agree, people should read reviews and excercise caution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Yeah, but that is not really a good solution. Google is allowing these games on the Play Store a place where A LOT of kids will be playing these "silly games".

And Diep.io is not a bad game in all honesty

But I agree, people should read reviews and excercise caution.
    I don't work for Google but they do have things in place to stop things like this- unfortunately people find ways to get past these. Give the kids some decent books so they can use their imagination and let them out the house- let them experience the world!

ReputationRep:
    The common sense approach only really works if it's obviously a dodgy looking game. I have seen a lot of well-made games with great reviews that contain adware.

So that logic goes out the windows.

ReputationRep:
    I don't work for Google but they do have things in place to stop things like this- unfortunately people find ways to get past these. Give the kids some decent books so they can use their imagination and let them out the house- let them experience the world!
    I do agree their. It is sad but there will always be work-arounds.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you have actual evidence that the adware/viruses/etc. were part of the games in question? How do you know you didn't have some malware in your phone from something else? Especially if you've downloaded several games, one may have been infected and the others were clean.

I've seen (and been a victim of) malware that's installed on a phone. For example I'd open a perfectly legitimate link on Facebook, from a page I trust 100% and it gets redirected to some spam or junk. I know the issue doesn't lie with Facebook and there was in fact malware affecting the links.

The game in question mentioned above (the diep.io clone) is clearly dodgy. There's spelling errors, it's not using the name correct name to be the official diep.io and has lots of poor reviews. Not to mention the reviews don't stack up to the downloads (100,000 downloads to 3.5K reviews, the downloads are most likely rigged). It's also possible that the game was originally perfectly safe but an update added the malware. Regardless something is clearly fishy about the diep.io clone and people with common sense shouldn't even download it.

There are also other practices in place, such as protecting your phone with antivirus software and so on.

Google isn't really to blame here. They do a good job of keeping the majority of stuff off the play store. Some stuff gets through but is usually picked up at some point. In general there's a very small percentage of stuff that actually gets onto the play store and most apps are completely legitimate.

Those people without the common sense to stay away from clearly dodgy apps will manage to get a virus, whether Google keeps it off the play store or not. They'll go onto an obviously dodgy website or reply to an obviously dodgy email. Google can't be blamed for lack of common sense or lack of teaching in internet safety.

Finally the kids argument. As mentioned above Google does a good job of keeping the play store clean so kids shouldn't have anything to worry about. However there are also parental constraints that can be added, to make it safer for kids (for example preventing them downloading apps without getting their parent to put in a password). If parents aren't making use of these constraints (and also applying common sense when the kid wants to download a dodgy app) then the parents are more at fault than Google.

A (potentially) few games is not representative of the entire Play Store, or Google's attempts to keep it clean. Not to mention the game you picked as an example here is obviously dodgy with several giveaways. I didn't read the article but I can't say I agree with anything you've written here.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 12, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.