Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

SURVEY: what happens to consciousness after death? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm collecting some primary research for my EPQ. I would like to know your personal view please.

Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Is there a survey that you forgot to link, or should we all just put our views down here?

ReputationRep:
    It ceases to exist

ReputationRep:
    Aye, Where be the Survey?

It's a strange one. Now I know a little about the subject, might help you.

The brain changes as we age and our thoughts and experiences "shape" it- as in the structures and neuron connections change based on what we use/need.
    At Death- Brain Death that is, What happens? Surely if the person is healthy- no memory illness, dementia etc. Surely then the "person" still exists in some form because the shape/structure is unique to that person. If you could take a scan or "restart" it then you could bring the person back "online" in some form. If you could digitise it then you've got a system to process information in a unique way- Paul Dirac for instance could visualise maths in a way no one else could- clearly that would be useful.
    Now brain death is said to (medically) be when the blood stops flowing through the brain., The cells stop receiving oxygen, and build up with Carbon Dioxide obviously then they are meant to die.
    Another question then- I think in some organisms (humans included) when the body dies the cells produce substances that help digest the body. Does this happen in the Brain?

Hope this helps, I'd be open to keep in touch via PM if you want more help- both because I've done my EPQ before (on Mars) and because I'm generally interested in the topic.

ReputationRep:
    Consciousness is a consequence of intelligent life, if that life ceases to exist, so does its consciousness.

My view.

ReputationRep:
    20 minutes later... Still no sign of a survey...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, no, I should have mentioned, just put your views down on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaddieRose99)
    Ah, no, I should have mentioned, just put your views down on here
    Then that isn't a survey!

ReputationRep:
    As a Christian i believe that each person has like a soul ? which is immortal ?

"[the soul is] The spiritual principle of human beings. The soul is the subject of human consciousness and freedom; soul and body together form one unique human nature. Each human soul is individual and immortal, immediately created by God. The soul does not die with the body, from which it is separated by death, and with which it will be reunited in the final resurrection."*
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It ceases to exists and then your body decays. (I m an atheist )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not arrogant enough to say that I know that I'm right but here's what I think:

Once the brain ceases to function then that's the end of that person. No afterlife. No reincarnation.

I don't know. There's a lot of scientific evidence to suggest that consciousness can't exist without a living, functioning brain to produce it. So, the simplest explanation would be that after physical death, consciousness ceases to exist. I'd like to think there's something though.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the experience or state of consciousness to be similar to the period of time before you were born. In other words, complete unawareness.

I'm open-minded to other ideas though and certainly wouldn't define myself as an atheist. Essentially I believe that anything is possible, but I have my predictions of what might happen.

ReputationRep:
    I have no frickin clue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.