Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've finished my A2 exams and am coming to terms with the fact that I don't think I've gotten the grades I need to meet my offer (The uni course I've applied for has made it clear that this year they won't be accepting anyone who misses their offer)
    So I've been looking into the courses that are in clearing and I'm confused as to which I should be looking at. I needed AAB to meet my offer but I think I will likely miss out on this by a grade or two. So, say I get ABB instead of AAB, is there any use me trying to get places on courses in clearing that are asking for AAB? I always assumed that because they're trying to fill up spaces they'd probably accept people with slightly lower grades, but then it kind of occurred to me that it may not necessarily be the case?

TL;DR I won't get into my firm unless I get AAB. Say I get ABB or equivalent. The only courses I can find on clearing that I am interested in are still AAB. I'm not sure if I should only be looking at courses that are asking for the grades I think I'll get or if I should assume those asking for higher grades will be more lenient as they are in clearing.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JMACM98)
    TL;DR I won't get into my firm unless I get AAB. Say I get ABB or equivalent. The only courses I can find on clearing that I am interested in are still AAB. I'm not sure if I should only be looking at courses that are asking for the grades I think I'll get or if I should assume those asking for higher grades will be more lenient as they are in clearing.
    Not all courses are listed in Clearing yet.

And a 1 grade miss may still be acceptable to your offering university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Not all courses are listed in Clearing yet.

And a 1 grade miss may still be acceptable to your offering university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question as to how lenient courses in clearing are with the grades they ask for.
    Also, no it won't be sadly. I stated in the post that they're only accepting the grades they ask for as they are oversubscribed

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question as to how lenient courses in clearing are with the grades they ask for.
    Also, no it won't be sadly. I stated in the post that they're only accepting the grades they ask for as they are oversubscribed
    It depends on the university and course. Not all of them will lower their requirements.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It does answer the question because not all courses are listed. Many will be listed on or just before results day. And at that time some *might* also relax their requirements, until then no-one can say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've finished my A2 exams and am coming to terms with the fact that I don't think I've gotten the grades I need to meet my offer (The uni course I've applied for has made it clear that this year they won't be accepting anyone who misses their offer)
    So I've been looking into the courses that are in clearing and I'm confused as to which I should be looking at. I needed AAB to meet my offer but I think I will likely miss out on this by a grade or two. So, say I get ABB instead of AAB, is there any use me trying to get places on courses in clearing that are asking for AAB? I always assumed that because they're trying to fill up spaces they'd probably accept people with slightly lower grades, but then it kind of occurred to me that it may not necessarily be the case?

Consider universities you may wish to go to through clearing. Contact the univertiies and ask them about whether the entry requirements will be lower. Bare in mind that the clearing lists won't be up to date till a few days before results day so it's best waiting till then to know which courses are actually available

ReputationRep:
    It does answer the question because not all courses are listed. Many will be listed on or just before results day. And at that time some *might* also relax their requirements, until then no-one can say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wasn't asking about which courses would be listed? Lol. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Consider universities you may wish to go to through clearing. Contact the univertiies and ask them about whether the entry requirements will be lower. Bare in mind that the clearing lists won't be up to date till a few days before results day so it's best waiting till then to know which courses are actually available
    Thank you! Because some of the courses have already been named, do you think it's worth calling them now as opposed to waiting till results day? Just cause I wanna be as prepared as possible!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I wasn't asking about which courses would be listed? Lol. Thanks!
    Your post title says you are Confused about Clearing. I was trying to clarify things for you.

Anyway you can sort yourself out now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your post title says you are Confused about Clearing. I was trying to clarify things for you.

Anyway you can sort yourself out now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My question was expanded on in the post though. No need to be rude. Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Your attitude stinks. you have good grades and clearing usually take 1-2 grade lower. You shouldn't act like you know everything especially when your asking for help. I still wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    Your attitude stinks. you have good grades and clearing usually take 1-2 grade lower. You shouldn't act like you know everything especially when your asking for help. I still wish you the best of luck.
    Are you okay mate? I said thanks to the guy for his help lol, hardly consider asking a question acting like I know everything. Think you need a nap

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Because some of the courses have already been named, do you think it's worth calling them now as opposed to waiting till results day? Just cause I wanna be as prepared as possible!
    Yes it's better to know whether they accept people with lower grades then wait till results day and risk wasting time ringing up places which can't offer you a place

ReputationRep:
    Are you okay mate? I said thanks to the guy for his help lol, hardly consider asking a question acting like I know everything. Think you need a nap
    You clearly need a nap... You said there is no way there will take you if you get a grade lower as they are over subscribed. Who the hell told you this... I wonder what university and course this is. Secondly Jniell is right university's may still take you because they need to fill their quotas and people may have done badly.

Clearing is when they have places left because some students don't get the grades or don't want to go that university. They almost always take lower grades sometimes even 2-3. I think you should read about adjustment and clearing in other threads as they explain it very well. As for being prepared you should call the universities you are interested in. The majority of clearing spaces however will come later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    You clearly need a nap... You said there is no way there will take you if you get a grade lower as they are over subscribed. Who the hell told you this... I wonder what university and course this is. Secondly Jniell is right university's may still take you because they need to fill their quotas and people may have done badly.

Clearing is when they have places left because some students don't get the grades or don't want to go that university. They almost always take lower grades sometimes even 2-3. I think you should read about adjustment and clearing in other threads as they explain it very well. As for being prepared you should call the universities you are interested in. The majority of clearing spaces however will come later.
    The university themselves lmao. University of Birmingham for psychology.
    Thanks, that's all I was asking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.