Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The pill - how does it get absorbed by the body? Watch

Im on cerazette and Ive recently had a bit of an upset stomach, leading to constipation/diarrhoea. It isn't that severe but it lead me to wonder how the pill actually releases the hormones to prevent pregnancy into the body

Does it get absorbed into the bloodstream shortly after consumption? Or is it digested? Is it reliable? (sorry if I sound thick!).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's digested, ending up in your blood via being absorbed in your gut.

Yes, it's reliable, but if you're getting 'emptied out' via vomiting or severe diarrhoea within four of hours of taking it, you need to ask about using another form of contraception.

(Original post by unprinted)
    It's digested, ending up in your blood via being absorbed in your gut.

Yes, it's reliable, but if you're getting 'emptied out' via vomiting or severe diarrhoea within four of hours of taking it, you need to ask about using another form of contraception.
    My diarrhoea has never been in close proximity (atleast 10 hours) of taking the pill and has also been quite mild, so I'm assuming I don't have to worry. The only thing that made me feel uneasy is I could sometimes see small pieces of undigested food (sorry for TMI) and it made me think the pill might not have been digested too- or is that illogical thinking?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, ten hours should be fine. Each pill is mostly sugar, so it dissolves and is digested easily.

(Original post by unprinted)
    Yes, ten hours should be fine. Each pill is mostly sugar, so it dissolves and is digested easily.
    ok thank you. I actually suffered from mild diarrhoea last night, about 2 hours after taking the pill. I still don't think it was that severe, but do you know if the time period where you aren't fully covered on the mini pill 2 days or 7 days ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.