Turn on thread page Beta

17 year old in a relationship with a 30 year old man? watch

Announcements

What are your opinions on this relationship? Would you be worried if this was someone you knew?

ReputationRep:
    Although legal, does not make it morally right.
    What does a 30 year old man have in common with a young girl who's still in school and just only finished her gcse's?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it provided the man doesn't have any guardianship over her. I hate how you get very liberal people these days who judge other people's relationships despite their own lives being in a state of complete mess.

(Original post by tcameron)
    Although legal, does not make it morally right.What does a 30 year old man have in common with a young girl who's still in school and just only finished her gcse's?
    How would you feel if a tradCon said that homosexual relationships are wrong or that interracial relationships are immoral? For the record I support both of the aforementioned, the hypocrisy however, is evident.

ReputationRep:
    Highly dubious.

ReputationRep:
    I would be worried yes :/

ReputationRep:
    Sugar daddy.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, people can have relationships with whoever they want, regardless of age. They're both old enough to do whatever they want, whilst one may suspect the 30 year old I'd say take it with a pinch of salt. If you see said person changing all of a sudden, not going out as much, maybe visible marks on her or any sort of signs that you can make out that seem slightly weird,then you can be worried.

If I didn't see the signs though, personally I'd just ask the girl about it see what she thinks. If I did see a sign though, then yeah I'd get worried 100%.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Depends in the people. Its less the 13 year age gap and more the fact of the proportional gap.
    He should ne mayure and is more worldly wise, she is still finding her feet and may be naive. That makes her vulnerable, but she is free to choose.
    Tbj we dont really know anything about either other than their age.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radmanistan)
    Nothing wrong with it provided the man doesn't have any guardianship over her. I hate how you get very liberal people these days who judge other people's relationships despite their own lives being in a state of complete mess.

How would you feel if a tradCon said that homosexual relationships are wrong or that interracial relationships are immoral? For the record I support both of the aforementioned, the hypocrisy however, is evident.
    Completely different situations. An age gap is an fundamental mental difference between people which can often lead to vast incompatibility, being of the same sex or of different races isn't.
    Am quite worried even if you think the two different situations are in any way in comparison.

What does a 30 year old man have in common with a young girl who's still in school and just only finished her gcse's?
    Let's just say the 17 year old is really mature and they have very deep and meaningful conversations together.

ReputationRep:
    OP has not said if he/she is male or female... *

ReputationRep:
    Completely different situations. An age gap is an fundamental mental difference between people which can often lead to vast incompatibility, being of the same sex or of different races isn't.
    Am quite worried even if you think the two different situations are in any way in comparison.
    If you believe that, you must surely believe also in mandatory IQ screening for relationships. Again I reject this, it's fascist even, but it highlights the inconsistency you're displaying.

ReputationRep:
    That's very odd

ReputationRep:
    Dad bod?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see an issue

ReputationRep:
    Would the responses be different if it was a 17 year old boy and a 30 year old woman, versus the opposite though?
    Personally I guess it would for me, for some reason seems less likely that the 30 year old woman is going to prey on the young man, vs the original situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Let's just say the 17 year old is really mature and they have very deep and meaningful conversations together.
    I'm more worldly and open minded than the people here

If this is you, what I would say is be careful and be pragmatic. If he has a history of only going for much younger girls, this is a red flag, don't get used and dumped. Also be very critical about his prospects, intellect, ambition, his job, because I have noticed girls over 25 are more realistic about wanting a man rather than a loser/manchild, so again make sure he's not looking for someone who will give him an easy life and allow him to never push himself.

ReputationRep:
    Totally different stages in life. I would question what a 33 year old would be doing with a 17 year old? I would be worried, the maturity and income difference is going to result in a power imbalance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All 17 year old girls being pursued by older men think they're "really mature." The guys doing this aren't pursuing you for your maturity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.