Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

BREXIT: Opposition parties demand general election.... watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7130896.html

No one voted for Dictator Dismay or her new manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    Neither did we vote for Major (the first time round) or Brown. But such is the joy of having a parliamentary system of government.

I didn't vote for William Wragg (my local MP) or Brexit. Does that mean I should be calling for some more elections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Neither did we vote for Major (the first time round) or Brown. But such is the joy of having a parliamentary system of government.

I didn't vote for William Wragg (my local MP) or Brexit. Does that mean I should be calling for some more elections?
    This is a mighty big change !
    (I think some describe it as a "political earthquake" )

Do we really know the true mood of the people - I mean about 20% of Brexit voters voted the way they did because they do not like the Muslim religion.
    How on earth is Teresa May going to please them - put VAT on Islam?

The whole voting process was a shambles from start (Howard and Johnson both suggesting second referendum) to end (has been politician getting a "shoe-in" ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    The whole voting process was a shambles from start
    The whole voting process of the last two elections was a shambles in my opinion - the Tories got in. But that doesn't mean I ended up calling for a new vote until the party of my choice got in.

I really don't understand this second referendum thing. What if a second referendum voted Brexit? Would you be calling for a third and a fourth?

ReputationRep:
    The whole voting process of the last two elections was a shambles in my opinion - the Tories got in. But that doesn't mean I ended up calling for a new vote until the party of my choice got in.

I really don't understand this second referendum thing. What if a second referendum voted Brexit? Would you be calling for a third and a fourth?
    Nope - I just want some clarity.
    People know this is for real this time - its not a Daily Mail cover story.
    There will be no Boris suggesting "another one" or people thinking "The germans will give us something at the last minute to keep us in" or "its islam" -

People who want an election or another referendum are not hoping for a specific result they just want clarity as to what people really do want - in all seriousness , not as some sort of protest against life.

ReputationRep:
    People know this is for real this time - its not a Daily Mail cover story.
    There will be no Boris suggesting "another one" or people thinking "The germans will give us something at the last minute to keep us in" or "its islam" -

People who want an election or another referendum are not hoping for a specific result they just want clarity as to what people really do want - in all seriousness , not as some sort of protest against life.
    There is clarity. Absolutely crystal clear clarity. Over a million more people voted leave than remain. You don't like the result? Fair enough, but that's how democracy and FPTP voting works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    There is clarity. Absolutely crystal clear clarity. Over a million more people voted leave than remain. You don't like the result? Fair enough, but that's how democracy and FPTP voting works.
    No one is seriously suggesting that Scotland should not have a second referendum and its only been two years.

So, nope, you case is disproved.

With this one, if something does not happen then we are stuck until 2021 ???

Its like WW1 where the Eton Toffs go over the top even though they know its stupid , they going to destroy the nation for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    People know this is for real this time
    The clarity is that a majority voted Brexit. And to assume that people weren't taking it seriously the first time is quite frankly insulting to the huge numbers who turned out to vote.

Unlike a General Elections there were no tactical votes and no wasted votes through safe seats. It was simply one person, one vote and every vote counted. You don't get fairer than that.

Just out of curiosity, I presume you would be calling for a second referendum had we voted to remain? After all, I am sure such a vote would equally have caught up people who didn't take it seriously or were misguided or ill informed?

ReputationRep:
    For Labour to claim that is nothing but hypocritical - and stupid, they'll stand to lose huge.

ReputationRep:
    The clarity is that a majority voted Brexit. And to assume that people weren't taking it seriously the first time is quite frankly insulting to the huge numbers who turned out to vote.

Unlike a General Elections there were no tactical votes and no wasted votes through safe seats. It was simply one person, one vote and every vote counted. You don't get fairer than that.

Just out of curiosity, I presume you would be calling for a second referendum had we voted to remain? After all, I am sure such a vote would equally have caught up people who didn't take it seriously or were misguided or ill informed?
    No one is seriously suggesting that Scotland should not have a second referendum and its only been two years.

Its like WW1 where the Eton Toffs go over the top even though they know its stupid , they going to destroy the nation for nothing.

Would I have called for another Referendum or election if LEAVE had won?
    Most definitely if they felt they had been robbed and the nation was clearly still split on the issue

(you could argue I am biased as I am not a Conservative but I dont think i am) - If it was close and the north hated the result, I would have called an election (as per Ted Heath over the Miners Strike (the one before Thatcher) - he did not have to call an election, he just felt the nation was in such a mess, he needed a new mandate (he lost).

ReputationRep:
    Scotland were told to stay if they wanted to stay in the EU. We have now left the EU. Things have changed. That said, they haven't called a referendum yet.

Nothing has changed for us in the last two weeks.

ReputationRep:

Plenty of people think Scotland should not be permitted a second referendum. Sturgeon knows that she would not win one if it were called tomorrow.

What has 2021 got to do with anything? If you really want to rejoin the mess that is the EU then vote in a government which has that as a manifesto pledge, hold another referendum, and if you win then apply to join the EU. How long do you think that will take you? Do you think they'd let us back in? On decent terms?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want another general election because the inevitable Labour losses to UKIP are going to be almost too painful to bear. We need to put our faith in Theresa May. At least she voted to remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Plenty of people think Scotland should not be permitted a second referendum. Sturgeon knows that she would not win one if it were called tomorrow.

What has 2021 got to do with anything? If you really want to rejoin the mess that is the EU then vote in a government which has that as a manifesto pledge, hold another referendum, and if you win then apply to join the EU. How long do you think that will take you? Do you think they'd let us back in? On decent terms?
    2020 is how long the Torys can stay in power (2021 at a pinch).

Do I want to rejoin the EU - of course I do - you'd be absolutely bat shiit crazy not to.

Retire in Pyrenees, Contract in IT in the South of France or Amsterdam or Berlin or Helsinki. What is not to like...

only an absolute nutter would not want to be part of the EU.

Its beyond human understanding (of IT (java web developer)) why anyone would have voted leave who was not certifiably insane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    I don't want another general election because the inevitable Labour losses to UKIP are going to be almost too painful to bear. We need to put our faith in Theresa May. At least she voted to remain.
    In other words, you don't want a general election because it may have an outcome that you don't like, so instead we should stick with a woman who gained power by winning the votes of just 0.04% of her party.

ReputationRep:
    Labour won't call for one they know that the public knows they can't run their own party let alone the country.

Angela Weasel is just as unelectable as Jezza

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    In other words, you don't want a general election because it may have an outcome that you don't like, so instead we should stick with a woman who gained power by winning the votes of just 0.04% of her party.
    If we have another GE, the Conservatives are going to win anyway. Might as well have her as Prime Minister without the Labour losses and UKIP gains, rather than having her as Prime Minister AND giving more power to UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    If we have another GE, the Conservatives are going to win anyway. Might as well have her as Prime Minister without the Labour losses and UKIP gains, rather than having her as Prime Minister AND giving more power to UKIP.
    You've confirmed what I've just said.

ReputationRep:
    If Corbyn hangs on as Labour leader an election wipe out will be the only way to get rid of him, although tbh I wouldn't put it past him to refuse to go even if this happens.

If he does stay as leader I'd rather have the election now and get it done with sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    You've confirmed what I've just said.
    Yeah, and unless you're a fan of UKIP you'll agree that the decimation of Labour isn't what we need right now.

Besides, who has a bigger mandate than Theresa May to be PM right now?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.