Turn on thread page Beta

Is it appropriate to ask what a guy does for a living... watch

ReputationRep:
    should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?

is this for a date or what?

ReputationRep:
    I think anytime is an appropriate time? If someone asked me what I do, I'd tell them.. Doesn't really bother me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    is this for a date or what?
    No asking for a date wasn't asked yet that's how new it is. Do you think you need to go on a date and have that talk there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    I think anytime is an appropriate time? If someone asked me what I do, I'd tell them.. Doesn't really bother me
    Oh sweet thought it would make a guy feel uncomfortable

ReputationRep:
    It's a perfectly normal question lol, there's no right time for it, just ask him

(Original post by xobeauty)
    No asking for a date wasn't asked yet that's how new it is. Do you think you need to go on a date and have that talk there?
    no no, i just wanted to know but even if it is not its still not inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    It's a perfectly normal question lol, there's no right time for it, just ask him
    It doesn't sound too gold digger ish?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, as long as you don't ask him how much he makes lol, it's something about him that would be of interest to most people meeting him, perfectly normal to ask

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as your job can potentially define a lot of who you are, it's one of the first questions I'd ask a date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Seeing as your job can potentially define a lot of who you are, it's one of the first questions I'd ask a date.
    Aw that's not nice what if someone's 25 and still works at grocery store?

ReputationRep:
    One of the many first questions to ask,I would say. Don't see anything wrong with asking*

ReputationRep:
    should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?
    Surely you should be asking his name first? If I'd just met someone and that was the first question they'd asked me I'd be a bit put off

ReputationRep:
    Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction, rather than taking an interest in you/the connection, but there are ways of asking without being quite so obvious/making it at least look like you're not just performing a box ticking exercise :scrooge:

ReputationRep:
    Aw that's not nice what if someone's 25 and still works at grocery store?
    Beautiful, intelligent ambitious women don't tend to work in grocery stores so I probably won't have that problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction, rather than taking an interest in you/the connection, but there are ways of asking without being quite so obvious/making it at least look like you're not just performing a box ticking exercise :scrooge:
    that's essentially what a first date is though, a box ticking exercise.

ReputationRep:
    I'd ask them as an icebreaker type question... its a pretty important part of that individual's life tbh

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful, intelligent ambitious women don't tend to work in grocery stores so I probably won't have that problem.
    I work at a supermarker so i guess I'm not an intelligent ambitious woman damn aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    One of the many first questions to ask,I would say
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction
    :erm:

ReputationRep:
    That's what I say but I'm always being told not to think that way. I don't wanna ask a dude and it turns out he has a *****y Job making him feel bad after.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.