Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently a TA with 3 yrs experience and spend a lot of time doing HLTA cover. I'm looking to move into teaching but I don't have a degree. I've spent a lot of time researching different options and school direct is the best for me, however, is this possible without a degree ? The school I want to work in is an Academy which I think means they have more flexibility over who they appoint. I know I can do a foundation degree whilst still being a ta but that is a 2yr process and then a year training for QTS.

    Not wanting to cut corners but just trying to look at all options.

    Any advice would be appreciated

    All routes to gain qualified teacher status (QTS) require the candidate to complete or to have completed a degree. Academies are able to employ teachers who do not have QTS, so there is nothing stopping the school you want to work in from employing you right now, however, you are likely to find that most academies nonetheless largely seek candidates with QTS, which, in turn, means that they are seeking candidates who have completed a degree.

    Sorry for being the bearer of bad news! Also, make sure you have researched the next step after the foundation degree thoroughly and have verified that you will definitely meet the entry requirements and that they meet your needs too - I haven't come across many top-up courses with QTS and even fewer that take just a year to complete!


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.