Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be too old to 'fit in' at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Without making this into a huge long rambly post, I didn't do well at school because I was ill and went to a "special" school because of this, but it wasn't academic so left with only one higher.
    I am now going back to college and by the time I start university I'll be 24 all my life I've never fitted in and I'm scared uni will be the same because most people in halls and on my course will be 18 odd.

I do want to have the "uni experience" and make friends and join societies...but I'm nervous my age will hold me back/work against me.

ReputationRep:
    You will be a mature student but that doesn't stop you from joining any societies you wish to partake in or make friends. Best of luck with your studies

ReputationRep:
    I am 48 starting uni, get focused and don't think about your age. No one will probably know if you don't announce it...

ReputationRep:
    There will be other people your age there don't worry and live in the here and now. Good luck with you studies!

ReputationRep:
    You're certainly too old to be worrying about what a bunch of 18 year olds think you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandtoast00)
    Without making this into a huge long rambly post, I didn't do well at school because I was ill and went to a "special" school because of this, but it wasn't academic so left with only one higher.
    I am now going back to college and by the time I start university I'll be 24 all my life I've never fitted in and I'm scared uni will be the same because most people in halls and on my course will be 18 odd.

I do want to have the "uni experience" and make friends and join societies...but I'm nervous my age will hold me back/work against me.
    There are people who are way older than you went to universities - it doesn't matter what your age and there will be people who have been through like you. Don't be afraid to join clubs and societies and make new friends! What are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    Uni is for people of all ages so don't worry, you'll be fine It's not unusual for a person your age or even way older to attend university

ReputationRep:
    My cousin is going at 25 and he's worried also. He is staying at home (London) for uni though which might make it worse

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.