Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been determined to study English at Oxford for years, but now whenever I read something and hear other people discuss literature (in lessons and at taster days, etc) I feel stupid and can't seem to analyse anything by myself. If anyone has any tips for improving close reading and analysis skills or boosting confidence in a subject, they would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhisokay)
    I've been determined to study English at Oxford for years, but now whenever I read something and hear other people discuss literature (in lessons and at taster days, etc) I feel stupid and can't seem to analyse anything by myself. If anyone has any tips for improving close reading and analysis skills or boosting confidence in a subject, they would be much appreciated
    I used to feel like this as well, and now I have a Masters degree in English - don't give up!

Just do as much background reading as you can, and as you read try to identify any themes or motifs or even just interesting quotes in what you're reading. Really listen to what people in your class are saying when they come up with good analysis, and try and apply these techniques when you're doing your own analysis.

If you really want to study English, and you have wanted to for a long time, then you probably already have the analytic skills, you just need to learn how to apply them
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by niamhisokay)
    I'm echoing what Fox said.

I would also recommend you brush up on your language and linguistic knowledge. Language becomes ever so much more important at uni. You need to understand language to understand how a writer uses language.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 13, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.