Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After going to uni last year and hating the place I was at, I dropped out of my Human Bio course...

I've been thinking so far into it since and have thought about either going back this september to study physiology and then see what happens after those 3 years (perhaps do post grad Nursing course or a PGCE and become a science teacher, or even get a job in industry, opportunities are varied)

OR wait another year to reapply and study Children's nursing. I did a week's work experience with nurses and whilst I enjoyed it I wasn't 100% sure on whether I want to be a nurse or not, but isn't something I would never ever do. I like this option in that obviously you are almost guaranteed a job after in the NHS, and can take it anywhere in the world, however I'm concerned that if you are unsure about wanting to be a nurse you really shouldn't be, and perhaps I could be better studying Physiology and doing nursing after to keep options open??

Please help me and let me know what you think!! Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    A week's work experience isn't very much to decide if you want to do nursing or not but you're right about needing to be absolutely sure before jumping in to it as it's hard work. Getting a degree doesn't guarantee you a job. You have to work your way through the career ladder and that's true of any profession. At this stage I suggest doing some more work experience particularly in the area you're interested in (children's nursing). Also think about whether you really want to study physiology and why and what you may want to do with it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree with alleycat393, getting some more work experience will help you decide if nursing is for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    A week's work experience isn't very much to decide if you want to do nursing or not but you're right about needing to be absolutely sure before jumping in to it as it's hard work. Getting a degree doesn't guarantee you a job. You have to work your way through the career ladder and that's true of any profession. At this stage I suggest doing some more work experience particularly in the area you're interested in (children's nursing). Also think about whether you really want to study physiology and why and what you may want to do with it.
    Arranging hospital work experience takes a long time and is hard to find. I am 20 now and have already had 2 years out so if I go to uni and study physiology I feel like it has to be this year otherwise I will have jumped off the education tredmill for too long.... I think the only way I could do it and not risk it is if I start the physiology degree, and during the summer holidays of uni I could do more work experience etc and if I still want to be a nurse I guess I would have to do it afterwards and another 3 years :/ which I guess isn't long in the grand scheme of things...

What does that sound like :/?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I volunteer at my local hospital, you could see if care homes are taking volunteers, or join the bank as a healthcare assistant at a care home or hospital, I know it isn't with children, but the skills are transferable and you will gain healthcare experience.
    In respects to feeling like you have to go back to university this year, lots of people go back to formal education later in life and have gained a lot of experience that is useful when they return to studying. I will be 25 this year and go to college in September to do an access course in the hope to study Adult Nursing next year, it's only with life experience and knowledge I have learnt from being a volunteer and a Care Assistant at a care home that has given me the confidence and skills to pursue a career in Nursing. So don't feel like you have to go to university this year or you'll never get another chance, you have so many options.
    Have a good think about everything and good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That seems like a lot of jumping in and out of things just to work out what you want to do. I wouldn't start something else unless you're sure that's what you want. Don't stay in education for the sake of it. Yes getting nursing work experience is hard and takes time but if that's what you want and you want it badly enough then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I am 22 and completed a BSc Physiology degree this year. It was great as it helped to reinforce my passion to become a nurse. So I'll get a job as a Care assistant for a year and then hopefully get into a PgDip Nursing degree which is a 2 year degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCLx)
    After going to uni last year and hating the place I was at, I dropped out of my Human Bio course...

I've been thinking so far into it since and have thought about either going back this september to study physiology and then see what happens after those 3 years (perhaps do post grad Nursing course or a PGCE and become a science teacher, or even get a job in industry, opportunities are varied)

OR wait another year to reapply and study Children's nursing. I did a week's work experience with nurses and whilst I enjoyed it I wasn't 100% sure on whether I want to be a nurse or not, but isn't something I would never ever do. I like this option in that obviously you are almost guaranteed a job after in the NHS, and can take it anywhere in the world, however I'm concerned that if you are unsure about wanting to be a nurse you really shouldn't be, and perhaps I could be better studying Physiology and doing nursing after to keep options open??

Please help me and let me know what you think!! Thank you
    Hiya, I am now finishing my second year of my nurses training... I always wanted to be a nurse and even I am struggling! Its a tough course, emotionally draining as well as mentally and physically draining.
    If youre not sure my advice would be to not go for it yet, get some experience as an HCA or something similar as you really really need to want to be a nurse to be able to go through with what is a ridiculous course. Hate to say it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone so please make sure youre passionate about it first. We have had over 120 drop out of our intake so far :/
    Good luck with whatever you want to do but don't do it just because xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.