Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,This is my first time posting a new thread, I am applying for the RAF as a PTI and vetting is next month.I am finding it quite difficult to find out about PTI standards for females. I'm very much under the mentality that I should be aiming for the men's standards anyway because there's no reason I can't achieve them. But it would be nice to know what my actual 'requirements' would be.

From research I know that the requirements are 20 press ups, just under 40 sit ups and 11.2 on the bleep test. However these are minimums. Would anyone be able to tell me what the PTIs at cosford would be looking for approximately?

If anyone has any details whatsoever about vetting I would be be very grateful, as I'd like to have as few surprises as possible. E.g. Type of questions involved in the interview, and what they're looking for on the SAPCA.

I have already looked at all the threads available and unfortunately very few are recent and those that are don't contain the information I'd like, so if anyone has been through the process recently I would really appreciate your input.

My current stats are 29 press ups in a minute (hoping to get that to mid 30s), 50 sit ups in a minute (aiming for 55+) and level 11.5 bleep test (aiming for 12).

Any other tips or advice would be so gratefully appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shannon

I passed Raf vetting early 2016

Google; "RAF school of physical training" - tells you all you need to know for interview and the fitness requirements too. Hope you can swim !

SAPCA - Strength and Physical Courage Assessment.
    1 min MAX effort of Bergen run, Jerry can carry, Casualty drag, back and forward over 20m as well as rope climb and repetitive lift. you have 1 min to do your max effort on each of these followed by a MAX bleep test.
    only tip for this is keep going till you drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopperHarris)
    Hi Shannon

I passed Raf vetting early 2016

Google; "RAF school of physical training" - tells you all you need to know for interview
    and the fitness requirements too. Hope you can swim !

SAPCA - Strength and Physical Courage Assessment.
    1 min MAX effort of Bergen run, Jerry can carry, Casualty drag, back and forward over 20m as well as rope climb and repetitive lift. you have 1 min to do your max effort on each of these followed by a MAX bleep test.
    only tip for this is keep going till you drop.
    Thank you for your reply! That's so helpful thank you, what sort of questions were they asking in the interview?

Thankfully the swimming is the part I'm most confident about!!

ReputationRep:
    From what I remember, the questions are balanced between your knowledge of the RAF & also what you're like as a person.

Expect to be questioned on current affairs/news, where the RAF is currently operating, RAF aircraft, bases & equipment. At the end of the day, you're going in as a Junior Rank rather than an Officer/SNCO so they won't expect you to know everything or have hour long discussions about current affairs but the more you know the better chance you'll stand.
    Examples of RAF aircraft & their bases - RAF Coningsby & Lossiemouth - Typhoon & Tornado fast jets; RAF Valley & Leeming - Hawk trainer/aggressor jets; RAF Odiham - Chinook helicopters. Again, you don't need to literally remember every single base & aircraft type but the more you know the easier it'll be. They'll ask you what you seen the benefits & drawbacks are about life in the RAF & what makes you want to join.

As you're going in as a PTI expect them to be very interested in what sports you play, how regular & how you intensively you exercise & they'll probably probe how you'd cope leading a bunch of new recruits out on a run or through a circuit session (it was quite common that PTIs fresh out of Trade Training would be immediately cycled back to bases such as Halton to beast the new intakes of recruits). If you play team sports or are good at a particular discipline then ensure you tell them all about it. They'll ask you what you know about the trade - for example you'll want some facts like how long is your Basic Training at Halton (10 weeks at the moment if I remember correctly) & where PTI trade training is (RAF Cosford). It might also be good to mention that you know that once you're a PTI you can stream down the Adventure Training Instructor or Rehabilitation Training Instructor routes should you choose.
    It's a few years since I had my interview & I'm in a different trade group but the basics remain the same.

The fitter you get before Halton & Cosford the easier you'll find it - from what I've heard about PTI trade training you will get "punished" with extra physical training if you're inspections aren't up to scratch so the best way to ensure this doesn't break you is being able to take it.
    As the poster above mentioned, make sure your swimming is decent but it's running & circuits they'll do most of all.

You can also expect to get briefly questioned about your social habits - do you take drugs, been in trouble with the police etc.

(Original post by Shannonpeckett)
    Thank you for your reply! That's so helpful thank you, what sort of questions were they asking in the interview?

Thankfully the swimming is the part I'm most confident about!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    From what I remember, the questions are balanced between your knowledge of the RAF & also what you're like as a person.

Expect to be questioned on current affairs/news, where the RAF is currently operating, RAF aircraft, bases & equipment. At the end of the day, you're going in as a Junior Rank rather than an Officer/SNCO so they won't expect you to know everything or have hour long discussions about current affairs but the more you know the better chance you'll stand.
    Examples of RAF aircraft & their bases - RAF Coningsby & Lossiemouth - Typhoon & Tornado fast jets; RAF Valley & Leeming - Hawk trainer/aggressor jets; RAF Odiham - Chinook helicopters. Again, you don't need to literally remember every single base & aircraft type but the more you know the easier it'll be. They'll ask you what you seen the benefits & drawbacks are about life in the RAF & what makes you want to join.

As you're going in as a PTI expect them to be very interested in what sports you play, how regular & how you intensively you exercise & they'll probably probe how you'd cope leading a bunch of new recruits out on a run or through a circuit session (it was quite common that PTIs fresh out of Trade Training would be immediately cycled back to bases such as Halton to beast the new intakes of recruits). If you play team sports or are good at a particular discipline then ensure you tell them all about it. They'll ask you what you know about the trade - for example you'll want some facts like how long is your Basic Training at Halton (10 weeks at the moment if I remember correctly) & where PTI trade training is (RAF Cosford). It might also be good to mention that you know that once you're a PTI you can stream down the Adventure Training Instructor or Rehabilitation Training Instructor routes should you choose.
    It's a few years since I had my interview & I'm in a different trade group but the basics remain the same.

The fitter you get before Halton & Cosford the easier you'll find it - from what I've heard about PTI trade training you will get "punished" with extra physical training if you're inspections aren't up to scratch so the best way to ensure this doesn't break you is being able to take it.
    As the poster above mentioned, make sure your swimming is decent but it's running & circuits they'll do most of all.

You can also expect to get briefly questioned about your social habits - do you take drugs, been in trouble with the police etc.
    Thank you so much That's exactly what I needed! I am confident that I am for enough and have the right mentality about it all (I've been a county swimmer and an international kickboxer so that's all okay). And I'm already a personal trainer/group EX instructor so training a group of people is second nature to me now!

Thank you for your advice on the interview questions as I wouldn't have thought to look at current affairs, so that's helped a lot! Exactly what I needed from a response!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Shannon!

I'm going through the exact same thing right now, preparation and training for my 3 days at Cosford. How did you get on in the end? Can you shed some light on the types of things you were asked- also what the exam consisted of? Would be great to get a little bit of insight! Xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.