Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand the difficulty of getting a job in IT/CS. that is why i am making sure i am doing a placement year. The uni i hope to go to has some great industry partners (Google, Goldman Sachs, Zurich).

Let's say i am lucky and get to work at one of these places for a year, and lets also assume that i work in a relative field, would i be in a good position once graduated? Or not much better off? I understand job offers are usually the end product of these placements, but are they the basic graduate salary? (20-24k) or perhaps a bit more?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A placement year is an excellent way of almost ensuring that you get a job in the relevant industry upon graduation. In fact, quite a few graduates end up working at the same company during their placement!

Remember, experience is key - and it doesn't get any better than a year in the industry - plus it really helps during your final year project. But having a genuine passion is also something employers can be keen on, therefore if possible, try to participate in as much as you can during your academic years e.g. relevant activities, personal or side projects etc. and really try to give it your very best in each and every module too.

The salary will vary, obviously it won't be very high for the placement year itself, but as a graduate you can expect to earn from £25K+. Going back to what I said about experience, once you have a couple of years under your belt, you can easily apply for £35K+ roles and expect a minimum £30K. It's also worth pointing out that once you reach a higher salary, you never go below it again, that salary becomes your minimum rate to future employers (until you reach your next higher salary). Within 5 - 10 years depending on your career path, you can expect anywhere between £40K - £70K+. Things like bonuses, health, pension, insurance, other perks etc. will already come early on in your career.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    I understand the difficulty of getting a job in IT/CS. that is why i am making sure i am doing a placement year. The uni i hope to go to has some great industry partners (Google, Goldman Sachs, Zurich).

Let's say i am lucky and get to work at one of these places for a year, and lets also assume that i work in a relative field, would i be in a good position once graduated? Or not much better off? I understand job offers are usually the end product of these placements, but are they the basic graduate salary? (20-24k) or perhaps a bit more?
    Just know that industry partners doesn't exactly coincide with easier chances landing these schemes, you're applying and competing for them entirely by yourself. They are very difficult to pin down but entirely doable with the right preparation and attitude - just wanted dispel to that.

Salary depends on industry, location and company. Google (and other such companies like Facebook, Uber etc) pay about £50k base salary + restricted stock + year end bonus to their software engineers in London (more in Zurich) which will boost total compensation. Microsoft and Amazon are a bit less. Investment banks are usually £38-45k + a smallish bonus in London (less in regional areas like Glasgow and Bournemouth). Most other places will be less, vast majority fall in the £20-35k range for non top tech/finance.

As far as I'm aware Google and other tech companies only do internships (not placement years), financial firms sometimes have both internships and placement years (internships are still the prevalent path). Personally, an internship or two (or three) in the summer will suffice with converting into a grad offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, there is a HUGE dearth of CS people compared to the jobs out there. I got a 30k+ job with 0 experience on my first interview, while clearly and honestly stating to them that I had no experience and, even worse, hadn't programmed in several years. Got hired on the spot because companies are desperate. There are far more jobs and tech companies than there are people to fill the roles, and recruiting from abroad (the main solution) is potentially getting a lot harder because of Brexit.

If you are smart and prepare well, you will get a job with 0 problems.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the opportunity to do a placement you would be a fool to turn it down. It doesn't have to be 100% relevant to where you might want to end up, but for me, it serves three useful purposes:
    1. It gives you that all important 1 years of work experience. It proves you know what a working day is at the very least.
    2. It gives you a perspective and focus on what your degree is for. For me, it was a huge motivator for my final year.
    3. It pays real money so if you are prudent, you should be able to save a couple of grand to help out with your final year.

Do it and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.