Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to prepare for Theoretical Physics MSci over a gap year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I will be starting a degree in Physics/Theoretical Physics in 2017, for the time being I am on a gap year. What's the best way to mentally prepare for a theoretical physics degree? I am not just talking about being familiar with the topics discussed, but also improving my problem solving skills as much as I can.
    I will be doing the STEP papers, which are quite challenging from what I have heard. I will also work through all the mathematics/physics Olympiad papers. I will go through all the Maths modules I did not do in my A-Levels. I am also learning Python.
    Any tips? Any challenging books to read that could improve my problem solving skills?

ReputationRep:
    Feynman's lectures are great if you want to see physics beyond the equations.

(Original post by oShahpo)
    Any challenging books to read that could improve my problem solving skills?
    Try 200 puzzling problems in physics. It is an excellent book to improve problem solving skills.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4II...t?pref=2&pli=1

Irodov's problems in general physics is also great.

If you really want to challenge yourself, try Spivak's calculus. It is not an easy book aimed at serious aspiring mathematicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangotangopapa2)
    Feynman's lectures are great if you want to see physics beyond the equations.

Try 200 puzzling problems in physics. It is an excellent book to improve problem solving skills.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4II...t?pref=2&pli=1

Irodov's problems in general physics is also great.

If you really want to challenge yourself, try Spivak's calculus. It is not an easy book aimed at serious aspiring mathematicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Magnificent. Thanks a lot, I am very grateful.
    I have gone through the first volume, it's as great as it possibly gets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Magnificent. Thanks a lot, I am very grateful.
    I have gone through the first volume, it's as great as it possibly gets.
    You are very welcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.