The Student Room Group

Who should decide what A-levels I do?

Ive finished my first year at college and it has really made me think about what I want to do. I started off year 12 with maths, biology, phycology and history. May I add my parents had the overwhelming influence upon these choices and upon further reflection I was suppressing what I really wanted to do just to please my parents. I've finished year 12 now with as geography , as religious studies and as general studies. Through all this and after dropping out of biology in February (because I couldn't stand doing something I have no passion for) I've realised What I truly want to do next year. the only thing I enjoy is geography which I want to continue into A2. As for the others I don't want anything to do with them. I have a passion for photography and more of a creative range of subjects. I don't mind doing another year and I want to do photography and graphics next year as well as geography. I'm almost certain I want to be a photographer or go down a similar route. The only problem is my parents. They made me think I wanted to be a teacher. Which I do not. They refer to the subjects I want to do next year as "soft" implying they take no effort. They at least want me to continue religious studies into A2 but I really don't want to and the passion isn't there. What should I do? Someone please help.
Reply 1
Were you planning on doing both an AS and A2 in photography and graphics next year? Or just the AS? If you were doing both the AS and A2 then I see no need for you to continue with religious studies- 3 A2s is plenty.
I'm sure I don't REALLY need to tell you this, you seem to already know, but for posterity. This is your life, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, not even parents. Don't waste your precious time doing things you'll end up hating, because at the end of the day, you're the only one that has to live with it.

It's great that you know what you want to do, personally I didn't for a long time. Now at 27, I'm having to go through the whole system again, I wont see my dream job until at least 35. Now not only will I have uni debts, but college debts too.

I do advise having some kind of backup plan however, maybe take something you can tolerate on the side, just in case. But follow that dream, don't let it slip, by listening to your parents. They will come to respect you for choosing your own path, some take longer to accept it than others, but in the end they will.

Letting go of you, so you can make your own way in life, is one of the hardest thing a parent has to go through.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh well, it's not their life, is it? Don't let them force you, because you are the one who will have to live with the decision. You'll be the one sat in the classes, you'll be the one doing the work, you'll be the one possibly basing a degree off of these decisions. Their opinion is entirely irrelevant.

My school was pushy about everyone taking 4 AS and then dropping one for A2, but a few months in I realised I hated one of my subjects. I dropped it, school's opinion be damned, because I didn't want to do it, and why should I put myself through something I don't enjoy if it is of no benefit to me?

You know what you want to do with your future, you know what you enjoy, so do what you want. And if your parents keep pushing you then they obviously do not give a damn about you're best interests.

A Levels are a horrible time when most people have quite a few breakdowns, and (really, like every other time in life) you need to prioritise your mental health above all. You will be stressed enough, you do not need the extra baggage of studying a subject you don't want to do.

Don't let anyone else control your life and your future
Do what you want to do. Tell your parents how you're really feeling about your current options. It is your life and YOU should decide what you want to do. These options are going to determine whether or not you will do something you love for the rest of your life (Unless you want to be self employed or your dream job does not require any qualifications). Your parents need to understand that this is your life and not theirs. I understand your parents want the best for you, but let them know that being miserable for the rest of your life is not best for you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest