Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I have strong desire to pursue a career change in IT having held several roles in my industry over 4 years aftee graduating with a 1st in chemistry from a redbrick university. I feel i am not challenged in the environment i work in, i am overqualified and role is too hands-on for a graduate which has bought so munch frustration. I have tried the route of getting some certifications in a few areas including SQL and programming with VBA in excel to ideally become an analyst wheather it is in Data/pricing/Finance but would consider other options in the field.

I am strongly considering a conversion course in computer science to give a new start and insight in the field. Are there any other options you guys can suggest without potentially doing the masters.

I look forward to your responses

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure you don't have to be a compsci graduate to do an IT graduate scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    i'm pretty sure you don't have to be a compsci graduate to do an IT graduate scheme
    Having graduated in 2010 I believe I am not classed as graduate anymore unfortunately. Then again it depends on the requirements of the scheme but that is to be the most competitive route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys. The title was meant to say Moving into IT/Technology without a Computer Science/Computing Experienced Graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's all about attitude but also showing an interest and willingness to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hiteshmistry86)
    I think it's all about attitude but also showing an interest and willingness to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This only really works, to an extent, once you're at the interviewing stages. The OP needs to revamp their CV, get on LinkedIn, make their CV searchable on all the major job sites and learn to network. A strong online presence will really help. If they don't have any relevant experience, then they'll need to explore entry level roles into the field and stick with it for a while until they're in a stronger position to apply elsewhere at a more senior level. All the while, maintaining their professional network online and carrying out side projects and contributions.

ReputationRep:
    IT and computer science is a section that cares more about the experience than qualifications. Obviously, while you get the qualification you get experience but you don't specifically need one. Instead you need to build up your experience. Post any little projects you do, for yourself or others, on GitHub. Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to scratch. Try doing one off freelancing projects to get the experience and build up your CV. You can even try volunteering when you have the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.