Turn on thread page Beta

10,000 post limit to threads - new helpful thing incoming! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

As some of you will be aware if you have ever taken part in big forum games or society threads, TSR has a limit on the number of posts that can be included in a single thread (10,000 posts). When a discussion goes over the 10,000 posts limit, the whole site just collapses and stops working. We've looked into this and there isn't really a way around it because it's so core to the way the site works.

So, we are going to implement a change this week to improve this for you all:
    • Auto close - When a thread hits 10,000 posts it will automatically close, so someone doesn't have to manually do it.
    • Create new thread - within the old thread, it is possible for someone to reply after it is closed and that reply will become the Opening First Post of the new thread (with a notice that this is happening so you will know)
    • Auto numbering - on creating the new thread, the title will automatically update from Version 1 to Version 2, Version 3 to Version 4 etc.
    • Watchers auto carry across - one of the big problems with the old way is that the watchers of the old thread are lost, so these will now automagically carry across to the new thread.

I hope you like it, please let us know how it goes once live

Jack
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Lovely change. spotify95 will be pleased.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If this actually works then that's really good.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This will be an awesome change! Will it include a link to the previous thread in the OP of the new thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    This will be an awesome change! Will it include a link to the previous thread in the OP of the new thread?
    It has a notice going back throughout - which might be a bit too much but I'm of the view we should try that out and see what people think when using it first. We can always change it
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Woo, this'll be pretty helpful!! Looking forward to seeing it in action!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    • Auto numbering - on creating the new thread, the title will automatically update from Version 1 to Version 2, Version 3 to Version 4 etc.
    Nice, but I hope there will be a way to edit thread titles? GOGSoc version 8 just doesn't sound right. :nope:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    [/list]Nice, but I hope there will be a way to edit thread titles? GOGSoc version 8 just doesn't sound right. :nope:
    That's a good point.
    Captain Jack will it recognise Roman numerals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    [/list]Nice, but I hope there will be a way to edit thread titles? GOGSoc version 8 just doesn't sound right. :nope:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's a good point.
    Captain Jack will it recognise Roman numerals?
    I don't think it will be possible to work for Roman numerals but I will ask - for now assume it's a no though.

If there are some with roman numerals or bad titles, you can ask the Support Team or Community Team to change them for you
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Reminder that your friendly local ST member can make changes to thread titles if the automation doesn't get it right.

Good call, I like this!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Reminder that your friendly local ST member can make changes to thread titles if the automation doesn't get it right.

Good call, I like this!
    The OP can do it too you know
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Aph)
    The OP can do it too you know
    They can indeed. Surprising that not many people know!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by iEthan)
    They can indeed. Surprising that not many people know!
    I guess most people don't need to try to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Lovely change. spotify95 will be pleased.
    Excellent! If it works nicely, this will be a welcome change!

Also, instead of saying "version X", wouldn't it be better if it said "Part X", like how the CTAM is currently going?

Apart from that, excellent news!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Excellent! If it works nicely, this will be a welcome change!

Also, instead of saying "version X", wouldn't it be better if it said "Part X", like how the CTAM is currently going?

Apart from that, excellent news!
    Or Mk X like the MHoC... you're not going to be able to get one which EVERYONE wants...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Baby steps... we've noticed there are a few bugs with it, nothing major! If you notice a closed thread that shouldn't be closed, can you please report it here? :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Or Mk X like the MHoC... you're not going to be able to get one which EVERYONE wants...
    Most of FG's threads are Part X... in any case, if it does rename it wrongly, then surely I can ask iEthan to change it for me, correct?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Great idea!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Most of FG's threads are Part X... in any case, if it does rename it wrongly, then surely I can ask iEthan to change it for me, correct?
    And because you want it to happen automatically for FG means every other thread should have Part X... In fact, a lot of threads across TSR use Mk instead of Part - I'd be willing to bet more threads need opening after 10k posts that have Mk than those that use Part. Whoever the OP is can rename them in any case.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing change!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.