The Student Room Group

Dental or Adult Nurse

I'm currently studying and working as a dental nurse which I am due to qualify early next year. I wanted to study on to be a hygienist but now I am thinking of studying as an adult nurse and then progressing from there. Pros and cons? Also, does anyone know how I would be able to study adult nursing, like how much would it all cost?
Original post by zarahhh
I'm currently studying and working as a dental nurse which I am due to qualify early next year. I wanted to study on to be a hygienist but now I am thinking of studying as an adult nurse and then progressing from there. Pros and cons? Also, does anyone know how I would be able to study adult nursing, like how much would it all cost?

At this point in your course you are better off finishing and having some sort of qualification to work with rather than leaving, even if you were offered a place on an adult nursing course during this time.*

Both are very different careers with completely different roles and duties. As there will no longer be a bursary when you apply, you could find yourself in a lot of debt, which there is no point getting into unless you really do want to be an adult nurse. Have you had any experience at all in caring roles or working with the elderly etc.? If not, I really would recommend trying to get some before you commit to the course. I would also recommend considering the type of job you want at the end of all of this, as 'progressing from there' could mean a lot of different things in adult nursing.*
Reply 2
I was planning to leave after I finished my qualification so I have something to fall back on and yeah I researched the careers you can choose after becoming a nurse and a few are quite appealing. I just wanted to know what kind of things you would be doing and if people found it hard or not. In my job, you have to be a kind and caring person towards everyone so I'll already have that attitude but I'm just wondering about the rest.
Original post by zarahhh
I was planning to leave after I finished my qualification so I have something to fall back on and yeah I researched the careers you can choose after becoming a nurse and a few are quite appealing. I just wanted to know what kind of things you would be doing and if people found it hard or not. In my job, you have to be a kind and caring person towards everyone so I'll already have that attitude but I'm just wondering about the rest.

Obviously they are both very different, and your role in adult nursing will vary depending on the type of setting you are working in for example, a nurse on an elderly ward has a very different job to a prison nurse or a tissue viability nurse. You will be doing personal care, medication rounds, writing in notes, ward rounds, dressings, observations, discharge planning, care planning, the list really could go on forever. It is a hard and demanding degree, hours are long and most struggle with the shift work at first.

I've linked the Nursing & Midwifery forum below, there are lots of threads in there with experiences from student nurses which should answer most of your questions and has a lot of threads about the daily life of a student nurse.

*http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=640*
I am very glad to respond to this article.This article was very good and it helps the people to gain more knowledge.I've linked the Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending