Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all=)
    Erm currently I have just finished my AS levels, but was wondering do GCSE results matter?
    I really want to do history in oxford but my gcse results were not as good as my first modules for AS-
    GCSE: 1 A*(maths), 6 A'S, 1 B(computer studies), 2 C'S(stupid mandarin and photography)
    ASistory 1st module(full marks), physics (98/100)
    (Also this year I've obtained the history,physics and maths prize)

Therefore if my AS results are ok, would it still be possible to apply? Or is it too late>.<
    I am just really scared now cause some of my friends said I don't have a chance and some said i do, please help me get out of this confusion
    Thanx

ReputationRep:
    If you get good AS results, it really all depends on your interview. If your interview goes well, in my opinion you have nothing to worry about

There's countless numbers of people who do not so well (in terms of Oxbridge standards) in GCSE, and then do really excel during AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j'adore)
    Hi all=)
    Erm currently I have just finished my AS levels, but was wondering do GCSE results matter?
    I really want to do history in oxford but my gcse results were not as good as my first modules for AS-
    GCSE: 1 A*(maths), 6 A'S, 1 B(computer studies), 2 C'S(stupid mandarin and photography)

Therefore if my AS results are ok, would it still be possible to apply? Or is it too late>.<
    I am just really scared now cause some of my friends said I don't have a chance and some said i do, please help me get out of this confusion
    Thanx
    Based on your performance this year, and assuming you keep it up, you've an excellent chance.

What subject(s) are you thinking of applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j'adore)
    Hi all=)

Thanx
    I think you should definitely apply. My GCSE's weren't very good by Oxbridge standards either but I got high marks at AS level which got me an interview. From there I'd say its down to how well you perform in the interview. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice=)
    erm thinking of applying for modern history, but not sure which collages to go to, my history teacher recommended exeter though

ReputationRep:
    If you are applying to Oxford they won't ask you for your AS results. If you apply for Cambridge they will. I think on your oxford application form there is space to include them if you want, can't really remember. I didn't put mine as they weren't that great (had to resit a couple), i got a place and then just worked hard for resits and A2s, just have to wait and see if i got the grades! Just try and get to the interview stage and when you're there it doesn't matter what marks you got, you're level with everyone else. If applying to oxford i really would draw attention to your AS marks just to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mast3486)
    If you are applying to Oxford they won't ask you for your AS results. If you apply for Cambridge they will. I think on your oxford application form there is space to include them if you want, can't really remember. I didn't put mine as they weren't that great (had to resit a couple), i got a place and then just worked hard for resits and A2s, just have to wait and see if i got the grades! Just try and get to the interview stage and when you're there it doesn't matter what marks you got, you're level with everyone else. If applying to oxford i really would draw attention to your AS marks just to make sure.
    That's very inaccurate. Most Oxford applicants will submit AS grades (though not exact scores), they are after all your most recent set of results. Furthermore, if you achieve impressive scores, this can be mentioned in your reference. It is also far from true to say everyone who gets to interview is equal. Interview performance is just one of many factors under consideration when making offers.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to submit AS grades for oxford, i didn't! You can't submit GRADES anyway, as you don't have them until you cash them in! Its my opinion that you are level at interview, because my UCAS was in no way better than all the other applicants at my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mast3486)
    You don't have to submit AS grades for oxford, i didn't! You can't submit GRADES anyway, as you don't have them until you cash them in! Its my opinion that you are level at interview, because my UCAS was in no way better than all the other applicants at my college.
    You can cash AS grades in, most schools I've come across do. Hence it is possible to submit them, and again most schools I've come across do just that. As to equality at interview: Oxford is attempting to achieve as precise a selection process as possible; ignoring all information except interivew performance will inevitably lead to a less precise system is it is based on less knowledge. Hence it would be foolish to do this. An applicant from my school was actually explicitly told in his interview feedback that while he performed extremely well at interview, second consideration of other facets of his application forced the tutors to change their initial desire to accept him.

ReputationRep:
    I think its foolish for schools to automatically cash in AS results, but they may as well if the student doesn't wish to improve them. I accept your points about the importance of interview, but my opinion is based on my experience and that is what seemed to be the case. My advice is go for it.

ReputationRep:
    i have 1 A*, 2 A's, 7 B's and 2 C's and i got in... i wouldnt worry about those grades they are fine for oxford

hiroki

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.