Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  175.4 KBThe owner is trying to keep hunters out of the field by installing an electric fence. However, for legal reasons, he can only install the fence one metre inside the field along the entire perimeter. What is the perimeter of the fence?

So I calculated the perimeter of the field and converted it to metres and the removed 4 m so one off each side? But the answer only uses 240 yards but the questions says the entire perimeter?? The answer is 705

Can anyone explain step by step please!

ReputationRep:
    Sketch out where the fence would be inside the field...

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all you removed the wrong amount. Try doing it one wall at a time that may help. Could you also take a picture of the whole question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Sketch out where the fence would be inside the field...
    Okay, done that..

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  359.1 KB
    (Original post by Devify)
    Well first of all you removed the wrong amount. Try doing it one wall at a time that may help. Could you also take a picture of the whole question?
    It's both the questions I'm struggling with..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  359.1 KB

It's both the questions I'm struggling with..
    Okay, so the first one
    Convert yards to metres (yards / 1.0936)
    Each wall needs to have 2 metres removed. One from each side. So that is 2x4 = 8
    That should give you your answer.
    The problem you had is that you only removed 4 metres. That is only removing the length from one side of the wall.

ReputationRep:
    For the second one take what you have 705 metres. One hunter starts from A, another one from B and they both go towards the forest so the A-B wall should be removed. Remember that you have metres and the image is in yards as well as the people are walking in yards per min.

You need to take the perimeter and remove wall A-B. This should give you ~623 yards. Plus minus a yard or two depending on the accuracy.

Then see how far the first hunter walked. His speed times the 5min.

Minus that from the new perimeter with the removed wall. The left over divide by 5min and you will get how many metres the second person walked in 1 min. Which is his speed.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so the first one
    Convert yards to metres (yards / 1.0936)
    Each wall needs to have 2 metres removed. One from each side. So that is 2x4 = 8
    That should give you your answer.
    The problem you had is that you only removed 4 metres. That is only removing the length from one side of the wall.
    Thank you for explaining it so well :') I feel like a donut now!
    Haha, could you explain the second question as well please?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for explaining it so well :') I feel like a donut now!
    Haha, could you explain the second question as well please?
    Just did haha, check the previous message

ReputationRep:
    For the second one take what you have 705 metres. One hunter starts from A, another one from B and they both go towards the forest so the A-B wall should be removed. Remember that you have metres and the image is in yards as well as the people are walking in yards per min.

You need to take the perimeter and remove wall A-B. This should give you ~623 yards. Plus minus a yard or two depending on the accuracy.

Then see how far the first hunter walked. His speed times the 5min.

Minus that from the new perimeter with the removed wall. The left over divide by 5min and you will get how many metres the second person walked in 1 min. Which is his speed.
    How comes we use the perimeter of the fence and not the perimeter of the field?

ReputationRep:
    How comes we use the perimeter of the fence and not the perimeter of the field?
    Good thing you're paying attention. It is the field. I made the mistake there haha. I'm on my phone so I have to keep switching between the tabs. It makes it easier tho. You calculate the field perimeter, remove A-B wall. Then it's the same. Calculate how far 1 walked, remove it from perimeter and divide the rest by 5

ReputationRep:
    Good thing you're paying attention. It is the field. I made the mistake there haha. I'm on my phone so I have to keep switching between the tabs. It makes it easier tho. You calculate the field perimeter, remove A-B wall. Then it's the same. Calculate how far 1 walked, remove it from perimeter and divide the rest by 5
    Thank you so so much )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.