Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need Holiday Camp Activity Ideas watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In a few weeks time I will be helping out at a holiday camp for children from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am currently helping the Chief Coordinator put together a list of activities we could run at the campsite itself.

The children will be split into 4 teams and will compete against each other through a variety of activities. I was thinking we could possibly do something like a mini drama competition but other than that, I'm struggling for ideas. I would really appreciate it if you could help me come up with some.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    In a few weeks time I will be helping out at a holiday camp for children from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am currently helping the Chief Coordinator put together a list of activities we could run at the campsite itself.

The children will be split into 4 teams and will compete against each other through a variety of activities. I was thinking we could possibly do something like a mini drama competition but other than that, I'm struggling for ideas. I would really appreciate it if you could help me come up with some.
    Hi Quamquam123,

Just moved this over to a better section in the hope that we'll be able to get you some suggestions. This sounds like a lovely thing to do and if I think of anything, I'll pop back to this thread and help out.

Ethan

ReputationRep:

Sports? Cooking contest? Giant treasure hunt/ wide game?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Relay races, tug of war, craft of some kind, physical theatre is always good, mini talent show, cups with holes in and water carrying, apple bobbing, simon says, hide and seek. etc. The kids might like a brainstorming session at the beginning to think of some ideas which could fill some of the slots for activities like these, depending on the equipment needed.HTH
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    Sports? Cooking contest? Giant treasure hunt/ wide game?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooohs yes, wide games. Children love them! Does depend on the age of the children though
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Ooohs yes, wide games. Children love them! Does depend on the age of the children though
    The children are aged 7-11. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think a talent/drama show would be great for the last day.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The children are aged 7-11. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think a talent/drama show would be great for the last day.
    np Glad it helped! I've done quite a bit with children of that ages and generally they're very competitive and like sport (I work mostly with boys though) but you definitely want to make sure any of the children who are not like that aren't overshadowed and left out by providing a wide variety of activities

ReputationRep:
    We used to do capture the flag: you each wear a tag and have to cap the enemy team's flag, until one team holds all 4 flags you try and steal your own flag back or steal another's flag. If someone steals your tag you have to go back to your flag and get a new tag. It's great if you have a park or somewhere with some good hiding places and hills for lookouts. Depending on the enthusiasm and skill or number of people in the teams it can last between 30 mins and 2 hours, after which most people tend to give in. It's also great for team building and planning how best to find and steal and enemy's flag.
    I don't know if the group is too big but I recall a while back we did an activity through the weekend where the aim was to 'murder' (not literally) someone else, we were given a piece of paper with their name on, an object and a place e.g. Bob, a cup, in the hallway. Then when you 'murder' them you take their paper to try and murder the next person,, but they might also be a bit young for that actually.
    On the idea of cooking you might take some pizza bases and have the kids decorate them and have a competition for whose looks best, although you might need oven access for that so not great if you're actually camping.
    Who could build the best teepee, if you have access to a forest?
    Touch bulldog (not full contact)
    Perhaps (again if you have a facility for it) a movie night or a disco.
    Tower building, gather stuff from the woods/ forest (if you have one) or even give them a set of things e.g. canes and string and whoever makes the tallest tower wins.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    np Glad it helped! I've done quite a bit with children of that ages and generally they're very competitive and like sport (I work mostly with boys though) but you definitely want to make sure any of the children who are not like that aren't overshadowed and left out by providing a wide variety of activities
    I'm expecting them to very competitive indeed. I think the key to making these activities a success is to provide a wide range of different ones and to keep the children constantly busy. I think there will be a 50:50 split regarding boys and girls. It should be great fun for both the children and the volunteers.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    We used to do capture the flag: you each wear a tag and have to cap the enemy team's flag, until one team holds all 4 flags you try and steal your own flag back or steal another's flag. If someone steals your tag you have to go back to your flag and get a new tag. It's great if you have a park or somewhere with some good hiding places and hills for lookouts. Depending on the enthusiasm and skill or number of people in the teams it can last between 30 mins and 2 hours, after which most people tend to give in. It's also great for team building and planning how best to find and steal and enemy's flag.
    I don't know if the group is too big but I recall a while back we did an activity through the weekend where the aim was to 'murder' (not literally) someone else, we were given a piece of paper with their name on, an object and a place e.g. Bob, a cup, in the hallway. Then when you 'murder' them you take their paper to try and murder the next person,, but they might also be a bit young for that actually.
    On the idea of cooking you might take some pizza bases and have the kids decorate them and have a competition for whose looks best, although you might need oven access for that so not great if you're actually camping.
    Tower building, gather stuff from the woods/ forest (if you have one) or even give them a set of things e.g. canes and string and whoever makes the tallest tower wins.
    Thank you so much for this. I will explore your suggestions in more detail tomorrow.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    Catching the flag sounds fun but I was just concerned that could be a little too rough?

I like the idea for some kind of murder mystery, perhaps leaving simple clues along the way.

Some kind of cooking competition could be good.

I think all your other suggestions are definitely doable so I will see what I can do in organising them. Thank you once again for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Catching the flag sounds fun but I was just concerned that could be a little too rough?

I like the idea for some kind of murder mystery, perhaps leaving simple clues along the way.

Some kind of cooking competition could be good.

I think all your other suggestions are definitely doable so I will see what I can do in organising them. Thank you once again for your help.
    In the version of capture the flag that I've played you tuck the flag into a pocket/waistband, so it's pretty easy to grab without tackling anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    In the version of capture the flag that I've played you tuck the flag into a pocket/waistband, so it's pretty easy to grab without tackling anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok. It could work then.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.