Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Afraid to move on with life because of mental illness Watch

I've finished uni now so of course I'm supposed to be looking for a job, but on top of the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career, I've been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for months and it's making even doing normal everyday things difficult. I cannot go out in public without taking medication and even then I get physical symptoms like nausea, indigestion, cold sweats and feeling out of breath that plague me to some degree most days.

It's because of this that I feel so unmotivated to look for a job and I'm frankly terrified about my future because I believe failure is a certainty. I'll be crap and whatever I do and I'll likely feel unwell while doing it. How am I supposed to function in a job when my mind is such a mess? I'm due to start therapy soon, but my parents are bothering me a lot about getting a job and don't seem to understand the impact my illness and this added stress of not knowing what I want to do with my life is having on me.

How can I explain to my parents that I need to be given time and left to my own devices when they'll probably think I'm using anxiety as an excuse for being lazy?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you go to uni with no idea what career you want? Ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALittleLost25)
    for the sake of wanting to learn maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

How can I explain to my parents that I need to be given time and left to my own devices when they'll probably think I'm using anxiety as an excuse for being lazy?
    Because if you're "left to your own devices" you'll do nothing. If you want to be seen as doing something, make sure you know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Savage

(Original post by shawtyb)
    for the sake of wanting to learn maybe?
    It's okay, you don't need to reply to them, I'm ignoring unhelpful answers. I did Maths anyway so it's not like I'm unemployable.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Unhelpful. Life doesn't always plan out the way a person wants.

I've finished uni now so of course I'm supposed to be looking for a job, but on top of the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career, I've been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for months and it's making even doing normal everyday things difficult. I cannot go out in public without taking medication and even then I get physical symptoms like nausea, indigestion, cold sweats and feeling out of breath that plague me to some degree most days.

It's because of this that I feel so unmotivated to look for a job and I'm frankly terrified about my future because I believe failure is a certainty. I'll be crap and whatever I do and I'll likely feel unwell while doing it. How am I supposed to function in a job when my mind is such a mess? I'm due to start therapy soon, but my parents are bothering me a lot about getting a job and don't seem to understand the impact my illness and this added stress of not knowing what I want to do with my life is having on me.

OP, how aware are your parents of your illness? It sounds like you need to sit down with them and have a chat.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, you don't need to reply to them, I'm ignoring unhelpful answers. I did Maths anyway so it's not like I'm unemployable.
    see, im an academic failure when it comes to math! i have trouble recalling the info so well done for doing it at uni!
    message me if you like

(Original post by Airmed)
    OP, how aware are your parents of your illness? It sounds like you need to sit down with them and have a chat.
    They're very aware of it, they know I was diagnosed by a doctor and that I'm on medication and about to get therapy (which they're paying for) but for some reason they still seem to think that I can just think it away or ignore it when I really have no control at all. I know I really need to get a job but right now my mind is just not in the right place.

ReputationRep:

You need to remind yourself about your career and why this motivated you to study in particular course. Explain to your parents - stay calm and logical - that you may need some time to recover illness and stress before applying for job. Hope this helps

(Original post by shawtyb)
    see, im an academic failure when it comes to math! i have trouble recalling the info so well done for doing it at uni!
    message me if you like
    Thanks the anxiety affected me so badly in my final year, especially before I got medical help because the panic attacks were stopping me from going to lectures, thankfully I'd done really well in my second year so this year didn't drag my marks down too far

ReputationRep:
    Thanks the anxiety affected me so badly in my final year, especially before I got medical help because the panic attacks were stopping me from going to lectures, thankfully I'd done really well in my second year so this year didn't drag my marks down too far
    yay!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would talk to someone close about it, you need some type of support in place to help you when you get panic attacks and make sure you can get through life okay. Visiting a doctor about it should help too
    It's very important for you to move on with life, if you don't then you'll get even more anxieties.

Also suffering from panic attacks so I know how you feel OP. It's one of those illnesses that stops people from performing to their full potential and I really dislike how there isn't any help well aside from taking beta blockers that teaches you how to deal with panic attacks.

I have taken beta blockers prescribed by my doctor for only a while then came of them as I would rather face my panic attacks than take blood pressure medication, stuff like public speaking or speaking in front of other freak me out so when I took beta blockers that stopped my panic and I was amazed at how easily I could speak in front of others without all the physical symptoms of feeling like my heart pumping so hard and voice going a bit shaky.

For example going to a group interview is my worst nightmare, that's when you start speaking and discussing stuff among others.
    I would just sit down there and have a mini panic attack, my heart pumps so hard and I start to shake a bit. Then my voice goes off then I have this sick feeling in my stomach then I battle it through and try and speak only minimally then get beaten by others. Then the interviewer comments at how I wasn't contributing to the discussion, and obviously I hide the fact that I suffer from panic attacks from them. If I had just taken beta blockers it would have just been 100% easier for me and I would have been more confident but I can't just keep taking medication.

Maybe try and speak to someone like a GP about your condition although, from my experience, they just give you medication and there isn't no support for people with panic attacks to get over their illnesses atm.
    I think it's one of those illnesses where with some support people can get over it but atm there isn't anything like that offered by the NHS.

Also suffering from panic attacks so I know how you feel OP. It's one of those illnesses that stops people from performing to their full potential and I really dislike how there isn't any help well aside from taking beta blockers that teaches you how to deal with panic attacks.

I have taken beta blockers prescribed by my doctor for only a while then came of them as I would rather face my panic attacks than take blood pressure medication, stuff like public speaking or speaking in front of other freak me out so when I took beta blockers that stopped my panic and I was amazed at how easily I could speak in front of others without all the physical symptoms of feeling like my heart pumping so hard and voice going a bit shaky.

For example going to a group interview is my worst nightmare, that's when you start speaking and discussing stuff among others.
    I would just sit down there and have a mini panic attack, my heart pumps so hard and I start to shake a bit. Then my voice goes off then I have this sick feeling in my stomach then I battle it through and try and speak only minimally then get beaten by others. Then the interviewer comments at how I wasn't contributing to the discussion, and obviously I hide the fact that I suffer from panic attacks from them. If I had just taken beta blockers it would have just been 100% easier for me and I would have been more confident but I can't just keep taking medication.

Maybe try and speak to someone like a GP about your condition although, from my experience, they just give you medication and there isn't no support for people with panic attacks to get over their illnesses atm.
    I think it's one of those illnesses where with some support people can get over it but atm there isn't anything like that offered by the NHS.
    I went to my GP after a few weeks of suffering and being almost completely housebound, I've been on beta-blockers ever since and they're the only reason I'm able to go out and do things. The NHS does offer psychotherapy but there's a waiting list which is why I'm having it done privately. Hopefully it'll work so it means I can come off the medication because I hate being dependent on it just to do normal everyday stuff.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.