Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm interested in signing up for NCS for the summer. But there is this summer job i've been accepted for but can't take if i'm gonna be away at NCS for 3 weeks. So my questions are:
    - Is NCS any Good?
    - What's sorta the highlights of it?
    - Is it worth giving up earning money over the summer for?
    - What do you actually gain from doing NCS?

ReputationRep:
    I would accept the job offer, especially if it is your first. Having a job will make your CV look a lot better than doing NCS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthpawBailey)
    So basically I'm interested in signing up for NCS for the summer. But there is this summer job i've been accepted for but can't take if i'm gonna be away at NCS for 3 weeks. So my questions are:
    - Is NCS any Good?
    NCS is good because you will take part in a team to do outdoor activities and you make new friends. After that, you will do charity work which will look good on your CV and personal statement as you gain experiences and learn/improve your skills like teamwork and communication skills. Then after you graduate, they will keep you notify you in email about more volunteering available in your area and you can sign up for it. Again this will help you gain more experiences.

Accept your job first tho. Is it possible to explain to your job company about the NCS?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    A job is more important than NCS....

ReputationRep:
    NCS is way more fun than having a job TBH

ReputationRep:
    - Is NCS any Good?
    one of the purposes of NCS is to help you people get jobs so if you have been offered a job you'd be stupid not to take it...you can do ncs in year 11 summer and also year 12 summer so perhaps do it next year depending on how old you are ?

ReputationRep:
    - Is NCS any Good?
    Pretty sure you can do NCS next year so I'd take the job if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    - Is NCS any Good?
    I was in the same situation as you but I chose to get a job. I've only been working there for two weeks but, for me, it's been the most useful. I've learnt more people skills and been challenged more than NCS would have.
    I've found that it's really different from school and that being exposed to the world of work is making me appreciate qualities of my colleagues that I've not considered before.
    It's hard work but I've found it's been good for me.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my ncs wave and it was really fun, I learnt new skills and made loads of new friends in my local area and both the residential and the local volunteering were great! You do learn lots of things and ncs really helps build your confidence, however I would definitely take the job because you can do ncs when you're older; there was one girl in our room who was 18 so you should definitely be able to do it next year :-) good luck with your new job!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.