Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No sw, no summer internship. (Did make applications, 5 interviews over 2 years)
    Going into 3rd year (final year) economics degree at Russell group uni, not a semi-target.
    Averaging low 2:1.
    Decent experiences in retail and insight days before uni, nothing since uni began. Been on committees of societies.

Hoped to go into S&T, extremely unlikely. Would consider operations at investment banks and Big 4 audit.

What are my options?

Apply for summer internships or grad schemes in final year? Do masters? (don't really want to)

*I basically don't want to leave uni with nothing lined up*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dreadzy)
    Going into 3rd year (final year) economics degree at Russell group uni, not a semi-target.
    Decent experiences in retail and insight days before uni, nothing since uni began. Been on committees of societies.

Hoped to go into S&T, extremely unlikely. Would consider operations at investment banks and Big 4 audit.

What are my options?

Apply for summer internships or grad schemes in final year? Do masters? (don't really want to)

You definitely need to do more networking and definitely need to get more experience.

Anyway, the only pathways to S&T for you is retrying for summer internships; preferably whilst doing a masters of some sort or networking like a demon whilst in a middle or back office role at a bank. S&T rarely recruits out of MBA programmes and there is no path from Big4 to S&T (only big4 to IBD/ER).

Don't even bother applying to FO grad schemes.

You've really got to evaluate why you keep getting rejected otherwise the cycle will continue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What are my options?

If you're happy working in a back office or middle office role then by all means go for it and apply for off cycle internships now if possible. Or go for big4 audit jobs. Those are both very good jobs and pay well.

However, if you're set on S&T then I'd recommend contacting boutique firms immediately for work experience in anything markets-related over the summer or at some time during your third year, be it in S&T or research or at prop trading firms. Maybe check out some fee-paying internship like at Amplify trading if you're really desperate. Then apply for internships again in your third year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You definitely need to do more networking and definitely need to get more experience.

Anyway, the only pathways to S&T for you is retrying for summer internships; preferably whilst doing a masters of some sort or networking like a demon whilst in a middle or back office role at a bank. S&T rarely recruits out of MBA programmes and there is no path from Big4 to S&T (only big4 to IBD/ER).

Don't even bother applying to FO grad schemes.

You've really got to evaluate why you keep getting rejected otherwise the cycle will continue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

With regards to grad schemes, do I have a chance of getting one in back/middle office? Or is it best to apply to summer internships for that area as well?
    Also, with Big 4 would summer or grad schemes be best?

I've begun to think its a mix of my interview skills and just an average profile. AAB, russell group, non-target uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    If you're happy working in a back office or middle office role then by all means go for it and apply for off cycle internships now if possible. Or go for big4 audit jobs. Those are both very good jobs and pay well.

However, if you're set on S&T then I'd recommend contacting boutique firms immediately for work experience in anything markets-related over the summer or at some time during your third year, be it in S&T or research or at prop trading firms. Maybe check out some fee-paying internship like at Amplify trading if you're really desperate. Then apply for internships again in your third year.
    Thanks

Off cycle internships? Who are they for and how long are they? I'm going into my final year in September, graduating in 2017.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks

With regards to grad schemes, do I have a chance of getting one in back/middle office? Or is it best to apply to summer internships for that area as well?
    Also, with Big 4 would summer or grad schemes be best?

I've begun to think its a mix of my interview skills and just an average profile. AAB, russell group, non-target uni.
    I'm not sure how many more roles are available in grad vs summer for BO/MO but I would take a gander that you would have an easier time with grad than you would for FO (considering 60-70%+ of summers convert).

Big4 hires 1000s a year, grad is fine.

Yeah, so think of ways to make yourself more desirable. Do you have leadership qualities/examples? How about experience? Contacts that can go to bat for you? Are you coming across well at interview? Are your technicals lacking? Have you won anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks

Off cycle internships? Who are they for and how long are they? I'm going into my final year in September, graduating in 2017.
    Same length as summer internships (sometimes a bit longer). Usually for final years, those on placement years with time to fill etc.. The idea is they're run either in fall or winter when most students are still studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why on earth would you want to go into s&t, ew

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.