Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Importance of accreditation? Also London vs. Birmingham Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm an EU student and have been accepted to a few universities in the UK. The ones I want to talk about are Brunel and Aston.
    I'm not sure which I would prefer, but one issue that has come up is accreditation. The course I chose at Aston (Microbiology & Immunology) is not accredited, while Brunel's (Biomedical Sciences/Immunology) is; how important is this in regard to future employment, in the UK or otherwise?

On a side note, can you guys offer some advice on which would be a better pick, disregarding accreditation? City life, pros and cons to either university (not necessarily based on experience), accommodation fees, that kind of stuff.

Thanks for any help you can provide

ReputationRep:
    For Biomedical sciences it's somewhat complicated, arguably a non-accredited Biomedical sciences degree is more valuable as they are research and industry oriented degrees whereas accredited degrees are for the purpose of practising as a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS (and you can do that by doing an accredited master's after a non-accredited bachelor's).

I'm not as sure about the situation for Biosciences like Microbiology though, looking at the RSB website very few universities are actually accredited and it doesn't seem to be an indication of quality so I don't think it makes much difference if you have an accredited degree or not.

ReputationRep:
    Accreditation for Biomedical Sciences really only matters if it's your goal to work for the NHS as a biomedical scientist and is not an indication of the quality of the degree or the university. I would say that non-accredited courses will have a wider range of module options as they don't have to follow a set guideline.

Accommodation is definitely more expensive in London (I pay twice as much for my flat than my friends who go to Birmingham), as is the general cost of living. The social life is definitely more varied in London but as Birmingham is a large city it's not lacking there either. At the end of the day it depends on what sort of person you are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.