Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im 19 and got offered a job at TSB as a personal banker..
    I want to do investment banking later in life and i mainly applied because I thought this job might be useful? Its an hour journey and it will be quite tough so I'll only take it if it will really help me in investment banking in terms of getting a job and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Sorry its not apersonal banker, its customer service. I meant its the personal banking sector

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ccracker)
    Edit: Sorry its not apersonal banker, its customer service. I meant its the personal banking sector
    I guess my question would be is this part time while you study? Or full time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    I guess my question would be is this part time while you study? Or full time?
    Its flexible and they have full time and part time positions available. But im on a gap year so im not doing anything at the moment

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have a job already then just accept it and if you don't like then just quick - try before you buy ?

ReputationRep:
    Its flexible and they have full time and part time positions available. But im on a gap year so im not doing anything at the moment
    It will no way affect your chances of breaking into Investment Banking. So your choice really.

ReputationRep:
    It will definitely make it easier to get a job that you want. You will have experience working in a bank making you the more likely candidate against someone who has experience working somewhere else.

It is, however, your choice to decide if that is worth traveling such a distance all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I am speaking from a position of experience in a different industry, but the approach remains the same: speak to the people who hire trainees, look at the abilities and experience required to get those entry level jobs and see whether this matches up. You need to know what the people doing the hiring are looking for and what makes a successful candidate. Perhaps you will need a degree in economics or mathematics first, maybe even a masters in quantitative analysis and stats; alternatively you taking a job as a personal banker could be a great route into the industry, but my opinion (I don't work in finance so don't take it as fact) is that the job skills and experience gained as a personal banker translate poorly to investment banking.

In general, to start a career in investment banking you must obtain a good degree (2:1 - upper second class honours) in a subject allied to it, like economics, mathematics, statistics, maybe even business studies with a focus on finance. That really is a minimum.

Do you want to do investment banking or be an investment analyst?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...estment-banker

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...stment-analyst

ReputationRep:
    To an extent it will help your case when you will be applying for spring weeks and internships, because some finance experience is better than nothing. However, and I can't stress this enough, personal banking has absolutely nothing to do with investment banking and the two require different skill sets. Also can you elaborate on what "customer service" will include? Because if it is what I think its is, then you might be wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geolowiser)
    I am speaking from a position of experience in a different industry, but the approach remains the same: speak to the people who hire trainees, look at the abilities and experience required to get those entry level jobs and see whether this matches up. You need to know what the people doing the hiring are looking for and what makes a successful candidate. Perhaps you will need a degree in economics or mathematics first, maybe even a masters in quantitative analysis and stats; alternatively you taking a job as a personal banker could be a great route into the industry, but my opinion (I don't work in finance so don't take it as fact) is that the job skills and experience gained as a personal banker translate poorly to investment banking.

In general, to start a career in investment banking you must obtain a good degree (2:1 - upper second class honours) in a subject allied to it, like economics, mathematics, statistics, maybe even business studies with a focus on finance. That really is a minimum.

Do you want to do investment banking or be an investment analyst?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...stment-analyst
    Thanks

(Original post by dibs99)
    To an extent it will help your case when you will be applying for spring weeks and internships, because some finance experience is better than nothing. However, and I can't stress this enough, personal banking has absolutely nothing to do with investment banking and the two require different skill sets. Also can you elaborate on what "customer service" will include? Because if it is what I think its is, then you might be wasting your time.
    They said I will be serving at the counter, resolving customer enquiries, benefits of banking with TSB and stuff like that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I want to do investment banking later in life and i mainly applied because I thought this job might be useful? Its an hour journey and it will be quite tough so I'll only take it if it will really help me in investment banking in terms of getting a job and whatnot.
    Being a teller has 0 to do with IB

I would really just look at this job as any other retail or part time gig you can use to give you cash whilst going to uni. The experience itself is nice as you'll be forced to interact with others and build confidence but it's in no way preparation for a career in high finance by itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I second Princepieman

ReputationRep:
    You said you are on a gap year and not doing anything else. This kind of job will look better on a CV or application form when you do apply to IBs rather than doing nothing.

It will help develop some transferable skills too, but it will not directly help you in terms of applications in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anything helps. The actual impact this will have as the job itself goes is very little, but the whole thing helps build your profile - so yes, if I were you I would take this job as you are on a Gap Year.
    Breaking into IB firms will take a lot more though - a lot will be based off Uni and course rep, and how the rest of your profile stacks up (Grades/Uni Societies/Extra-Curriculars/Positions of Leadership etc)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.