Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I'm trying to learn how to draw.

What do I need?

I have a set of drawing pencils and a couple sketch books so far.
    I also have a ruler and plan on getting a couple erasers today as well as some sandpaper.

Will this suffice?

Edit: I will also pick up some type of portfolio so that I can track progress.

Depends what you are going to draw in

For drawing I use:

-V.tech highpoint black ink pens
    -Black bic biros
    -6B, 2B and HB pencils (Staedler)
    -Rubber (not them plasticy ones because they just smudge things)
    -Sketchbooks with good quality paper like pink pig

Some of these things can be a little pricey but they last a long time and give good quality results
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    Depends what you are going to draw in

For drawing I use: th

-V.tech highpoint black ink pens
    -Black bic biroser
    -6B, 2B and HB pencils (Staedler)
    -Rubber (not them plasticy ones because they just smudge things)
    -Sketchbooks with good quality paper like pink pig

Some of these things can be a little pricey but they last a long time and give good quality results
    Thanks. Do you use pens for lines once you're satisfied with what you've penciled?

I plan to get a kneadable and vinyl eraser and .

I have smooth Daler Rowyner sketchbooks.

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Thanks. Do you use pens for d vinylarker lines once the you're satisfied with what you've penciled?

I plan to get a kneadable eraser and .

I have smooth Daler Rowyner sketchbooks.
    Depends what sort of style im going for, if im doing photorealism for stuff like A level work then I usually just draw in pencil because it looks more realistic, if i want expressive I use biros and if im doing my hobby cartoons then I use the ink pens for the lines
    yeh get one of them, or something like a putty eraser or something
    ah yeh ik them ones, they are good also
    oh also i forgot to say, you could get some slightly tinged sugar paper such as pale brown, this gives really nice results when you use soft pastel/charcoal on it and the advantage of using non white paper is that you can use white pencil crayon for the highlights

ReputationRep:
    A tip is to start drawing/sketching in pen as you won't be able to rub anything out- this should teach you to make definite marks and become more confident when drawing
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Depends what sort of style im going for, if im doing photorealism for stuff like A level work then I usually just draw in pencil because it looks more realistic, if i want expressive I use biros and if im doing my hobby cartoons then I use the ink pens for the lines
    yeh get one of them, or something like a putty eraser or something
    ah yeh ik them ones, they are good also
    oh also i forgot to say, you could get some slightly tinged sugar paper such as pale brown, this gives really nice results when you use soft pastel/charcoal on it and the advantage of using non white paper is that you can use white pencil crayon for the highlights
    Thank you. I'm following drawspace.com. Read through some stuff this morning although it's mainly history/getting rid of wrong preconceptions atm.

Any tips? You must be fairly accomplished if you can draw photorealistic stuff.

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Thank you. I'm following drawspace.com. Read through some stuff this morning although it's mainly history/getting rid of wrong preconceptions atm.

Any tips? You must be fairly accomplished if you can draw photorealistic stuff.
    Aw no worries let me know how you get on with it all
    :lol: thanks, well it is mostly just practise tbh the best tip I was ever given in terms of photorealistic stuff is draw what you see, which sounds really obvious but say dont add for instance an extra highlight just because you feel like it. The subject you are working from doesn't have that highlight for a reason etc.
    Also make sure you know which direction the light is coming from so shadows are put in the right places etc.
    Oh speaking of shadows never draw them totally black because shadows rarely are, draw them a few shades darker than the colour they are 'covering' if that makes sense
    apart from that it is all just practise really :yep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Aw no worries let me know how you get on with it all
    :lol: thanks, well it is mostly just practise tbh the best tip I was ever given in terms of photorealistic stuff is draw what you see, which sounds really obvious but say dont add for instance an extra highlight just because you feel like it. The subject you are working from doesn't have that highlight for a reason etc.
    Also make sure you know which direction the light is coming from so shadows are put in the right places etc.
    Oh speaking of shadows never draw them totally black because shadows rarely are, draw them a few shades darker than the colour they are 'covering' if that makes sense
    apart from that it is all just practise really :yep:
    Thank you . Well I play the piano so appreciate the value of practice but it's been awhile since I was a total noob at something I enjoy doing. While I only began piano lessons a few years ago, I started playing as a kid when I wasn't so easily embarrassed and frustrated. It's going to be tough trying to draw and coming up with gross, childlike and unrealistic creations.

I am a member of a couple groups and they meet for life drawing and random object sessions so I'll pop along once I feel confident. Hopefully in a few months .

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.