Turn on thread page Beta

Is it really just me who finds most jobs boring? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've looked into so many career paths, and they all sound incredibly boring.
    Some examples:

Software engineer: The thought of spending all day looking at code bores me to tears. High stress, not all that rewarding. Being sat in front of a screen all day is not my idea of a good job.

Accounting: I hate numbers, to do it as a career sounds like hell.

Design/Mechanical engineering: Using CAD, working with gears/machinery doesnt appeal. Pay would be good but to do it long term i wouldnt enjoy at all.

Mechanic: I love working on my own car and motorcycle, its rewarding servicing it and therefore saving money. But to do it for someone else all day every day, with a manager trying to get me to rip off customers. Working in the cold during winter....what initially sounds like a fun job, then sounds like a terrible job with pretty low salary.

Is it just a case of picking your poison and running with it? Do any of you actually LOVE your job or love the career you are studying to get?

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be looking at more technical jobs, maybe that's just not for you. You need to spend more time finding what you would enjoy doing. Ignore how much you could earn and stuff like that.

Being a mechanic you could create your own company if you want to. And it is not always some crap manager trying to rip someone off. You just seem a bit pessimistic about it.

I'm personally aiming for either software engineering or security. I love working on code. For me it's like a huge puzzle that I will spend most of the day working on without even noticing how long has passed. And if I'm working on something interesting and get stuck I will be thinking of things to try even as I go to bed. I find problem solving to be enjoyable and quite rewarding once you manage to figure it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALittleLost25)
    Some examples:

Software engineer: The thought of spending all day looking at code bores me to tears. High stress, not all that rewarding. Being sat in front of a screen all day is not my idea of a good job.

Design/Mechanical engineering: Using CAD, working with gears/machinery doesnt appeal. Pay would be good but to do it long term i wouldnt enjoy at all.

Mechanic: I love working on my own car and motorcycle, its rewarding servicing it and therefore saving money. But to do it for someone else all day every day, with a manager trying to get me to rip off customers. Working in the cold during winter....what initially sounds like a fun job, then sounds like a terrible job with pretty low salary.

Is it just a case of picking your poison and running with it? Do any of you actually LOVE your job or love the career you are studying to get?
    jjust make a claim son

ReputationRep:
    Some examples:

I LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE the career I'm studying to get, but depends what your passionate about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    I LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE the career I'm studying to get, but depends what your passionate about.
    What career is that?

ReputationRep:
    What career is that?
    A air ambulance paramedic
    It's unpredictable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, I don't know what I want to do and I'm looking at stuff that's related to my degree as a starting point and everything seems so boring and I probably I won't be good at it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    If work were fun, you would have to pay to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I'm the same, I don't know what I want to do and I'm looking at stuff that's related to my degree as a starting point and everything seems so boring and I probably I won't be good at it anyway!
    What is your degree in?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think that for most jobs.

That's why I'm giving policing and security a go.

I really can't deal with the super academic stuff and perhaps later in life I will be able to use my academic skillset and capacity to help do the 'higher up' jobs in those careers/sectors.

Assuming I can bear them of course.

ReputationRep:
    What is your degree in?
    Maths, I could do a lot of things with it but nothing has struck me as particularly interesting so far.

ReputationRep:
    Thats all well and good but studying a subject and working in the industry are two very different things which is what you will find-out when you leave education, its a completely different ball game.

Anyway..

I have to agree with the OP, I've said this for years, there is no realistic career path that isn't boring, end of the day you wouldn't work for free so when you say you love your job etc etc its all bollox as you do it for the money and not as a hobby 99% of jobs are boring unless you are the minority of famous people and even they get fedup and turn to drugs to escape it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OP has no clue what software engineering is in the real world. Also no clue re: mechanical engineering. In fact, it appears OP has never had a technical job in their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    Thats all well and good but studying a subject and working in the industry are two very different things which is what you will find-out when you leave education, its a completely different ball game.

Anyway..

I have to agree with the OP, I've said this for years, there is no realistic career path that isn't boring, end of the day you wouldn't work for free so when you say you love your job etc etc its all bollox as you do it for the money and not as a hobby 99% of jobs are boring unless you are the minority of famous people and even they get fedup and turn to drugs to escape it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is what you think Firstly you can do work experience to get a snapshot of what its like as a career.
    Secondly, I would work for free, volunteering etc, but i know some people are just in it for the money, but I, for example are passionate about helping and caring for people with not much regard for money,fame, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I love my area of work. I fell into it by accident, and it's very barely related to my degree. Have you thought of trying things that aren't so technical/STEM related?

ReputationRep:
    That is what you think Firstly you can do work experience to get a snapshot of what its like as a career.
    Secondly, I would work for free, volunteering etc, but i know some people are just in it for the money, but I, for example are passionate about helping and caring for people with not much regard for money,fame, etc.
    So you would do it for free then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    So you would do it for free then?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought work was just something you had to do even though its boring.

ReputationRep:
    Some examples:

i want to be a professor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    Maths, I could do a lot of things with it but nothing has struck me as particularly interesting so far.
    Fuu*kenel.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.