Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think a pen will do just fine tbf

ReputationRep:
    Not even a stethoscope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedStuLu)
    Not even a stethoscope?
    I have heard that you do not even use stethoscopes until second year. Maybe, talk to people in the above years and see what they recommend

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!I'm excited to be starting in just a couple of months. I'm studying medicine but a little clueless to what equipment I need to take. I've seen some student packs online but I have no idea if they are really what I need.
    Could you let me know what you took with you for your first year?Thanks!lu
    This will obviously depend on your medical school. You don't really need a stethoscope until the clinical part of the programme i.e Third year and above. I didn't get my first stethoscope until third year. They will normally always provide them during the preclinical parts. Make sure you purchase some clinical attire for any GP/Hospital visits during the preclinical years also.*

ReputationRep:
    Not even a stethoscope?
    What kind of course will you be doing? If you're going to be doing clinical skills teaching early on, then you will need a stethoscope yeah. But I'd personally wait and see what your medical school says, they should provide some guidance. Also, you can often get a discount voucher at fresher's fair so you might want to delay buying one til then.

If you're going to be out on placements in the community or in hospitals you'll also need some smart clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice all. I suppose I'll just wait and see what I need and then order online.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.