Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The First and Second Crusades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I need help urgently...
    I have just finished AS exams and am starting my history coursework (on the Crusades) we have been given research to do and it involves finding sources. We need to find 8 sources (can be mixed of both first and second crusades) -4 on if the crusaders were motivated by religious devotion and 4 showing that other factors motivated them... I am really stuck as the sources must be written from people at the time. Anyone have any references to books or web links please????

ReputationRep:
    I'm gunna pop this thread over in History - you're more likely to get an accurate answer here

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...r_the_Crusades

ReputationRep:
    Heyy we did our AS exam on Crusades.. like there are plenty of chronicles you could use written by monks.. If you could tell me your question maybe I could help you? As I have plenty of sources regarding 1/2 and 3rd crusade.

ReputationRep:
    I found 'Chronicles of the Crusades' by Elizabeth Hallam incredibly helpful for my exam on all 3 crusades, its packed full of sources and is also so helpful in regard to understanding the crusades as a whole. A more simple book, is a textbook 'The Crusades' by Jamie Byrom and Micheal Riley, this is a very basic textbook but has some useful sources, and again is great for learning the basics of the Crusades to help you with coursework! Also,I highly recommend you search the internet for 'internet medieval sourcebook', this will bring up a page that is full of sources on so many topics.

I found from my Crusade revision, that although some people were motivated by religious reasons (read all 5 sources of Pope Urban's speech!), there were so many other factors including wealth, land, revenge, opportunity to gain a title that they would not have had at home. These are just a few things, I wish you luck in your coursework and I hope this is helpful
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Some history teachers might even allow documentaries and podcasts to count as sources- mine is allowing them (and I'm doing ww1 for my coursework)
    Saying that, my second paper for AS history was the First to Third crusades, and we used documentaries by Thomas Asbridge. There are clips on Youtube to use, and I'd recommend using them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.