Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had a list of 5 but now have dropped to 4. My parents want me to take another off the list (I sort of agree for some reasons) but I wouldn't feel safe enough only applying to 3 incase I don't get any of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greghayes)
    I had a list of 5 but now have dropped to 4. My parents want me to take another off the list (I sort of agree for some reasons) but I wouldn't feel safe enough only applying to 3 incase I don't get any of them
    Are these universities you're talking about? If they are why would you not apply to 5? There's no reason to reduce the number of places you could be getting offers from.

ReputationRep:
    apply to 5.... how do you parents know where you've applied - just go into school and add some more to your application and send it off ... you must be 17/18 don't let your parents dictate your future.. literally everyone applies to 5

ReputationRep:
    I applied for 5 unis this year, even though I hadn't researched 2 of them properly and wasn't really interested in going to them but I applied with an open mind and just as a back up really. If you apply for 3 you can also go on extra and add more choices for free anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference. . So if you don't have any offers, you can apply for other unis. . I'd say always have 5 unis in mind just in case something happens but you can always reject offers anyway..

I applied for 5, got 4 offers reject 2 of of them, so it doesn't really make a difference. . A lot of people apply for more than 3 unis that they have no interest in anyway. .just to fill up the places as they're free so..

That's what everyone at my college did anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Much as above. You don't have to use all 5 choices in your initial application. What issues do your parents have with your choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Much as above. You don't have to use all 5 choices in your initial application. What issues do your parents have with your choices?
    Thanks all for responses. The one we're unsure about is Exeter. We live in Cheshire so my parents worry about it being so far away (I have mental health problems and they believe that I'll be calling them up every 5 minutes to pick me up, which won't happen). Also, of the 5 I'm thinking of, 1 is 100% out of the mix, and the other 3 are very much where I want to be so they don't see the point in applying for 5.

The main thing is that they're not happy about the long distance to travel to the open day... I wouldn't feel comfortable applying to somewhere that I haven't been to. The one that I absolutely don't like is the one that I thought would be my top choice. I went to the open day and absoutely hated it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for responses. The one we're unsure about is Exeter. We live in Cheshire so my parents worry about it being so far away (I have mental health problems and they believe that I'll be calling them up every 5 minutes to pick me up, which won't happen). Also, of the 5 I'm thinking of, 1 is 100% out of the mix, and the other 3 are very much where I want to be so they don't see the point in applying for 5.

The main thing is that they're not happy about the long distance to travel to the open day... I wouldn't feel comfortable applying to somewhere that I haven't been to. The one that I absolutely don't like is the one that I thought would be my top choice. I went to the open day and absoutely hated it.
    Make a trip out of it. Exeter is a pleasant city and the uni generally has am excellent reputation. (My son went there so I know it reasonably well.)

Putting it down doesn't cost anything.

What course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Make a trip out of it. Exeter is a pleasant city and the uni generally has am excellent reputation. (My son went there so I know it reasonably well.)

Putting it down doesn't cost anything.

What course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    psychology

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.