Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I pay for Uni when I have a mortgage to pay. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can anyone help.

At the age of 28 I have decided I would like to go to uni next year. However, I have a mortgage so no sure what the best route is to take. It would only be a part time course as I would still need to work to pay our mortgage.

The Business course I was interested in was 4 years part time (Long I know). The fees are £600 per 20 credits. and there are 60 credits per year. That totals over £7000 for the course.

Who can afford to pay this whilst running a home and a mortgage.

As Im not familiar with the Uni experience can anyone offer some advice?

Many Thank

The Standard fee (per 20 credits) is £600. Most of our courses carry the standard fee of £600 per 20 credits. A few courses carry a non standard fee please check the list below to see if your course carries a non standard fee. A typical part-time course consists of three 20 credit modules totalling 60 credits per year. However some courses follow a different pattern and we advise you to contact your Faculty for clarification of credits studied in each year

ReputationRep:
    £7000 for a 4 year course? wow thats cheap considering im paying over 27k for my 3 year course..just speak to the uni about it and also student finance and they might help you..if worst comes to worst, downsize your home?

ReputationRep:
    Does the university allow you to spread payments out over the course of a year? If so that wouldn't be too bad - about £150 a month.

Alternatively will your mortgage provider allow you to put your mortgage on interest only for 6-12 months so that you have less mortgage to pay each month?

If you can't do either of those then I would suggest deferring the course until next year and save up as much as you can before starting.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Part time students are entitled to apply for a tuition fee loan, as long as the course doesn't take any longer than 25% longer than a full time course. IE - 30 credits per year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.