Turn on thread page Beta

#blacklivesmatter watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Your thoughts and opinions on the movement, what societal impact it has/will have

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babystayfamous)
    Your thoughts and opinions on the movement, what societal impact it has/will have
    Hopefully the cops fix up?

ReputationRep:
    For the most part, I have viewed them as a violent and generally trouble-making, knee-jerk reactionary black supremacy movement, with big mouths and small brains. However, I have recently seen a video of them amicably collaborating with a group of counter protesters in Dallas. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pkEtM2o-USo So they aren't all as bad as i thought they were but I still believe the way they view reality is painfully skewed.

ReputationRep:
    They are, for the most part, marching for a very viable change in the law and law enforcement system - I feel as though they have been bashed around recently because of the Toronto Pride fiasco/Dallas shootings, but it's very close minded to judge the whole group on the actions of a few.

Also, the people who are saying #AllLivesMatter, stop making yourselves the victims when you're not. Understand your privilege and use it to benefit people who haven't got what you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    OMG r u calling black people apes!?!
    What about Black Muslims!?!!
    Bilal was the first mu adin and was black?!
    You make me sick if ur a muslim
    his username is the name of the orlando shooter. ignore him, he's obviously trolling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    his username is the name of the orlando shooter. ignore him, he's obviously trolling
    Thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    It distracts away from the real issues in the African American community, and it attacks an issue that they have no proof even exists.

I had a three hour long discussion with one of them, and it ended with him calling me a racist lawyer because he couldn't provide evidence that the police are systematically racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    They are, for the most part, marching for a very viable change in the law and law enforcement system - I feel as though they have been bashed around recently because of the Toronto Pride fiasco/Dallas shootings, but it's very close minded to judge the whole group on the actions of a few.

Also, the people who are saying #AllLivesMatter, stop making yourselves the victims when you're not. Understand your privilege and use it to benefit people who haven't got what you have.
    More to do with the issue that BlackLivesMatter paints a picture of black self-pity and false victimhood, blaming the exaggerated premise of white oppression embedded in society rather than focusing on the evidence and the individual liberty to take responsibility for their own lives.

Don't get me wrong, the movement started out with the good intentions of raising the issue of police brutality, but it persists to ignore the facts that this has very little to do with this implied institutional racism that many have extended to American society as a whole. It has become a hotbed for people to run rampage and to blame society for their problems, instead of seeking the solution to ending them. That's what national leaders should be pursuing, not this hate-inducing movement that can only backfire and fuel even more racial tension.

ReputationRep:
    i support it however i don't like how they were so quick to assume the shooter of philando was asian when he was actually mexican...just shows a lot of people don't do their research and are spreading around bs tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    More to do with the issue that BlackLivesMatter paints a picture of black self-pity and false victimhood, blaming the exaggerated premise of white oppression embedded in society rather than focusing on the evidence and the individual liberty to take responsibility for their own lives.

Don't get me wrong, the movement started out with the good intentions of raising the issue of police brutality, but it persists to ignore the facts that this has very little to do with this implied institutional racism that many have extended to American society as a whole. It has become a hotbed for people to run rampage and to blame society for their problems, instead of seeking the solution to ending them. That's what national leaders should be pursuing, not this hate-inducing movement that can only backfire and fuel even more racial tension.
    A lot of the people who are causing the racial tension are the white people who completely overlook the legitimacy of what BLM are marching for. I know that it has flaws as a group, but it's still not acceptable that unarmed African Americans are shot dead by police 5x more than their White American counterparts. It could be to do with the fact that Black communities do have higher rates of crime but no one should be getting shot if they are unarmed. It's difficult to stand up and seek solutions for problems when the Black community are being overlooked constantly because people just brush it off as "well they shouldn't be committing crimes in the first place". No, they shouldn't, but Alton Sterling was selling CDs and Philando Castile was pulled over for a broken light. These people are hardly committing dangerous and potentially lethal crimes, are they?

Black communities do have their own problems within themselves, such as Black on Black shootings, a higher rate of crime etc. but for me, BLM are advocating for the fact that police officers and the judicial system, despite being incredibly important to the safety of the future of the USA, are being racially unjust with jail sentences, shooting unarmed people dead (as mentioned before) and so on, even though they are being paid to keep the country running.

I honestly don't think as many people would consider it a hate filled group if more white people, police officers and politicians actually responded to what is happening in America today and looked to seek solutions with the Black community. Unfortunately politicians, local governments, and the police force aren't doing anything substantial to help combat these unnecessary shootings, and BLM probably turned to "hate" to get their message across (which I condemn completely - you can still get your message across perfectly well without being hateful to others who are usually innocent).

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I have many opinions on this matter and it's rather difficult to write them all down.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the people who are causing the racial tension are the white people who completely overlook the legitimacy of what BLM are marching for. I know that it has flaws as a group, but it's still not acceptable that unarmed African Americans are shot dead by police 5x more than their White American counterparts.
    That is due to the fact that they are generally involved in much more dangerous and violent crime. Just to give a rough idea, they comprise 13% of the US population yet they are responsible for 50% of the homicide. They also, on average, tend to be a lot less co operative with the police. Black on white crime occurs at a much higher rate than white on black. Just look up the US statistics. Controlling for these factors, the statistics actually indicate that police are more hesitant to use force and/or shoot blacks than whites in similar situations. No doubt because the police are stereotyped as racist against blacks. Impoverished black areas are often under-policed because the local police force don't want to be seen as racists due to the risk of knee-jerk regressive leftist mobs like BLM labelling them as racists, even though these areas need policing the most. BLM exacerbate the problem and many of them are simply white-hating racists and black supremicists. They have openly campaigned for segregation between blacks and other demographics. They actually want to return to those days, except give blacks their own spaces where white people are not allowed, rather than vice versa. As I said before: black supremacists with big mouths and small brains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Good Doctor)
    That is due to the fact that they are generally involved in much more dangerous and violent crime. Just to give a rough idea, they comprise 13% of the US population yet they are responsible for 50% of the homicide. They also, on average, tend to be a lot less co operative with the police. Black on white crime occurs at a much higher rate than white on black. Just look up the US statistics. Controlling for these factors, the statistics actually indicate that police are more hesitant to use force and/or shoot blacks than whites in similar situations. No doubt because the police are stereotyped as racist against blacks. Impoverished black areas are often under-policed because the local police force don't want to be seen as racists due to the risk of knee-jerk regressive leftist mobs like BLM labelling them as racists, even though these areas need policing the most. BLM exacerbate the problem and many of them are simply white-hating racists and black supremicists. They have openly campaigned for segregation between blacks and other demographics. They actually want to return to those days, except give blacks their own spaces where white people are not allowed, rather than vice versa. As I said before: black supremacists with big mouths and small brains.
    source? for all this BS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    It distracts away from the real issues in the African American community, and it attacks an issue that they have no proof even exists.

I had a three hour long discussion with one of them, and it ended with him calling me a racist lawyer because he couldn't provide evidence that the police are systematically racist.
    the "real issues" being?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    source? for all this BS
    The crime statistics? And if you've already decided it's BS, is there any point in providing the source? You've already made up your mind. My misgivings notwithstanding, the US Department of Justice would be a good start if you are actually interested in the facts of the matter rather than virtue signalling. Do a little research and take off that regressive leftist blindfold of yours and you never know what you might find.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*
    Statistics tend to fuel political agendas as far as Im concerned if you're overpolicing certain members of society then of course you're going to get high numbers. You're actively searching for it. Every social group has its problems but again that should never justify and undermine the importance of another issue which is being brought forward ie black on black crime - thats on black members of society but I'm pretty positive they don't need other members of society actively killing them too. Its just not justified. Black people never wanted to be victims, society forces them to grow up with a whole different set of rules - you can be anything you want in this world, teachers tell us - but you can't be black. No one wants to be a victim, but a rape victim is still a rape victim whether its publicised or not. I also think its insulting to the lives of those who died at the hands of those who should have been protecting them to tarnish their names, dehumanize and desensitize the masses to the injustices of their deaths. A person got murdered at the end of the day. People got killed. We have to respect that. We all must mourn. We have to stand in solidarity as a whole. I don't consider the BLM movement to be racist - we are focusing on a particular problem being brought forward by thousands and thousands of people, asking for justice, asking for respect asking for peace and fairness - we all must listen. We owe our fellow human brothers and sisters our compassion.

And don't insult an entire people by saying big lips and small brains - the brains are there the lips are there, dogs know when they are destressed, so why treat a human as if they cannot comprehend their own sufferings no more than an animal most would call their best friend.

The world frustrates me.

ReputationRep:
    It could be to do with the fact that Black communities do have higher rates of crime but no one should be getting shot if they are unarmed.
    Exactly, hence #AllLivesMatter i.e. the life of this man matters equally as much as Castille's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwytoxMuk4U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cipi)
    Exactly, hence #AllLivesMatter i.e. the life of this man matters equally as much as Castille's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwytoxMuk4U
    Lmao a hashtag definitely belongs in front of such a dismissive statement like "all lives matter" when the same kinda people are constantly being treated like **** by cops, getting done by cops untold times. "All lives matter" is just cowardly. I don't quite follow what's going on with "BLM" what they're doing and what's happening to them during the protests or whatever but I'm aware of the reasonable intentions behind its origin. And "all lives matter" sounds like sarcasm and denial and it's tasteless. If you don't support BLM fine lol just keep quiet, or just have the balls to admit these cops are going mad.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like #AllLivesMatter just dilutes the problem thats being brought forward. Like its common sense that all lives matter it doesn't need its own movement, especially when its the black community standing up for their own.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semijackson)
    *sigh*
    Statistics tend to fuel political agendas as far as Im concerned if you're overpolicing certain members of society then of course you're going to get high numbers. You're actively searching for it. Every social group has its problems but again that should never justify and undermine the importance of another issue which is being brought forward ie black on black crime - thats on black members of society but I'm pretty positive they don't need other members of society actively killing them too. Its just not justified. Black people never wanted to be victims, society forces them to grow up with a whole different set of rules - you can be anything you want in this world, teachers tell us - but you can't be black. No one wants to be a victim, but a rape victim is still a rape victim whether its publicised or not. I also think its insulting to the lives of those who died at the hands of those who should have been protecting them to tarnish their names, dehumanize and desensitize the masses to the injustices of their deaths. A person got murdered at the end of the day. People got killed. We have to respect that. We all must mourn. We have to stand in solidarity as a whole. I don't consider the BLM movement to be racist - we are focusing on a particular problem being brought forward by thousands and thousands of people, asking for justice, asking for respect asking for peace and fairness - we all must listen. We owe our fellow human brothers and sisters our compassion.

And don't insult an entire people by saying big lips and small brains - the brains are there the lips are there, dogs know when they are destressed, so why treat a human as if they cannot comprehend their own sufferings no more than an animal most would call their best friend.

The world frustrates me.
    I like you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.