Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Newnham has done very well

I can't find the actual table online so here it is typed out for you, but without the % ranking or % of Firsts (too much effort - go and buy the Independent if you really want to know )
    1. (1) Emma
    2. (2) Christs
    3. (8) Trinity
    4. (6) Clare
    5. (4) Gonville and Caius
    6. (3) Pembroke
    7. (11) St Catherine's
    8. (5) Queens
    9. (10) Jesus
    10. (7) Corpus Christi
    11. (14) Selwyn
    12. (19) Trinity Hall
    13. (21) Newnham
    14. (13) St John's
    15. (20) Fitzwilliam
    16. (23) Robinson
    17. (12) Downing
    18. (15) Sidney Sussex
    19. (9) Churchill
    20. (16) Kings
    21. (22) Peterhouse
    22. (18) Magdalene
    23. (24) New Hall
    24. (25) Homerton
    25. (17) Girton
    26. (26) Lucy Cavendish
    27. (24) Hughes Hall
    28. (28) Wolfson
    29. (29) St Edmund's

ReputationRep:
    Miles away from civilisation, way down that list in terms of grades obtained and not the fastest on getting back to you...

Ah well, I am Irish I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    20. (16) Kings
    Nice to see King's admissions policies continue to be vindicated...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    hmm

ReputationRep:
    The table, which is compiled exclusively for The Independent by Peter Tompkins, a partner at the accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCooper, is used by prospective students when they choose a college
    Please tell me there aren't people who actually decide solely on the basis of this table!

ReputationRep:
    i didnt even know it existed until now!
    yay newnham 21st - 13th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    i didnt even know it existed until now!
    yay newnham 21st - 13th
    You have to pardon my lack of knowledge on stuff pertaining to Cambridge... I've never looked into it and don't really care all that much in the way some people seem to!

Following the link above, however, I found Newnham College is a girls college and that Germaine Greer went there...

Does that mean that you are all stuck-up feminist men-haters there?

If I campaigned to have a men-only college they'd probably have my shot or locked up or something!

Political correctness gone mad

Maybe I'm just bitter because my college is so far down the list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    If I campaigned to have a men-only college they'd probably have my shot or locked up or something!

Political correctness gone mad
    Women's colleges were created because all the ones already in existence were men-only...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Women's colleges were created because all the ones already in existence were men-only...
    I was only messing!

Seriously though, now we have female-only colleges but no male-only ones. I stand by my statement, the political correctness has been taken too far!

Why not have all colleges mixed? That would seem the fairest option, otherwise we should all have the option of single-sex colleges...

ReputationRep:
    How come the grad colleges are included? They aren't normally listed in the table. And why do they occupy the last places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tractarian)
    How come the grad colleges are included? They aren't normally listed in the table. And why do they occupy the last places?
    I thought it was strange that they were there too, but I expect they are at the bottom because they have such few undergrad students so the numbers are insignificant. It'd be interesting to know what the percentage of undergrad students at grad colleges that offer undergrad places received firsts.

ReputationRep:

Oh yeah, and to address your question - the grad colleges are there to represent the results of the undergrad population at the college. Notice that Darwin and Clare Hall are absent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Why do you say that?

ReputationRep:
    It sort of makes sense to have them listed, which makes me wonder why it's rare for it to happen. But, there are fairly high numbers of undergraduates at some of these colleges, to the extent that i'm not sure they're insignificant (approaching 100 in at least 1 of them).

I wonder if the result - if we are to take it seriously - reflects negatively on the undergraduate populations at the mature/graduate colleges. Fewer numbers of undergraduates doesn't - on the face of it - make a lower proportion of Firsts/2:1s more likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rathika)
    Why do you say that?
    A while back we had a poster telling us that of all the Oxbridge colleges only King's had an enlightened, fair, and just admissions policy. I was actually labelled a "fascist" for opposing its policies, which I feel are discriminatory. I pointed out at the time that the best evidence that King's policy is unwise is its slide down the Tompkins table; having once been among the most prestigious of Cambridge's colleges, it is now consistently firmly in the bottom half, despite retaining considerable resources which should allow it to be extremely competitive. I feel the latest figures further vindicate the argument that discrimination is never a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    It sort of makes sense to have them listed, which makes me wonder why it's rare for it to happen. But, there are fairly high numbers of undergraduates at some of these colleges, to the extent that i'm not sure they're insignificant (approaching 100 in at least 1 of them).

I wonder if the result - if we are to take it seriously - reflects negatively on the undergraduate populations at the mature/graduate colleges. Fewer numbers of undergraduates doesn't - on the face of it - make a lower proportion of Firsts/2:1s more likely.

I'm a mature student (27). Luckily (if we are to extrapolate anything from this list), I didn't choose a mature college.

Guess which one I did choose...

That's right, the worst of the rest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    Please tell me there aren't people who actually decide solely on the basis of this table!
    I never even heard of it!

I chose my college based on its swimming pool and a cute girl in the prospectus who looks like my girlfriend's sister... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I'm a mature student (27). Luckily (if we are to extrapolate anything from this list), I didn't choose a mature college.

Guess which one I did choose...

That's right, the worst of the rest!
    If you want cheering up a quote taken from the CU alt. prospectus says :
    Well, we have an indoor swimming pool. It may not be the temperature of a steaming bath, and it isn't Olympian in size, but it's ours, and it's free to use. This excites a certain amount of jealousy from people in other colleges.... and it allows all first years to build fabulous castles in the air about how fit they will be when they will swim every morning before lectures...

It's also an advantage that we have massive grounds and so our sports pitches are on site: you can tumble straight out of bed on a Sunday morning and fall onto the football pitch, if that's the kind of thing you like.

It seems Girton isn't that bad, and you'll get really fit cycling into town every day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    If you want cheering up a quote taken from the CU alt. prospectus says :
    Well, we have an indoor swimming pool. It may not be the temperature of a steaming bath, and it isn't Olympian in size, but it's ours, and it's free to use. This excites a certain amount of jealousy from people in other colleges.... and it allows all first years to build fabulous castles in the air about how fit they will be when they will swim every morning before lectures...

It's also an advantage that we have massive grounds and so our sports pitches are on site: you can tumble straight out of bed on a Sunday morning and fall onto the football pitch, if that's the kind of thing you like.

It seems Girton isn't that bad, and you'll get really fit cycling into town every day

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Queens' down to 8th! Now they can't be so picky on applicants.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.