Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Yay! Queens' down to 8th! Now they can't be so picky on applicants.
    Last year queens was one of the most popular, and I expect it still will be this year, apparently it has very nice facilities, and you get accommodation in college for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Last year queens was one of the most popular, and I expect it still will be this year, apparently it has very nice facilities, and you get accommodation in college for 3 years.
    Yes, but now they're only 8th! *Tries to install confidence in self*

ReputationRep:
    I hope prospective students don't take this table into account; like the Norrington Table, it's a joke, not worth the paper it's printed on.

(Original post by H&E)
    Women's colleges were created because all the ones already in existence were men-only...
    Not quite...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    I hope prospective students don't take this table into account; like the Norrington Table, it's a joke, not worth the paper it's printed on.
    O-k... Assuming this is correct, why did everyone choose the colleges they did? I explained my (highly dubious) reasons already...

To me, Cambridge was just Cambridge (I didn't even know about the colleges thing until I applied, and even then I thought it was all just apar to halls in another uni...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Not quite...

Man... Your choice of picture and details "propensity towards rage" or something... make you sound evil! :eek:

(Original post by katiyakat)
    Newnham has done very well

I can't find the actual table online so here it is typed out for you, but without the % ranking or % of Firsts (too much effort - go and buy the Independent if you really want to know )
    1. (1) Emma
    2. (2) Christs
    3. (8) Trinity
    4. (6) Clare
    5. (4) Gonville and Caius
    6. (3) Pembroke
    7. (11) St Catherine's
    8. (5) Queens
    9. (10) Jesus
    10. (7) Corpus Christi
    11. (14) Selwyn
    12. (19) Trinity Hall
    13. (21) Newnham
    14. (13) St John's
    15. (20) Fitzwilliam
    16. (23) Robinson
    17. (12) Downing
    18. (15) Sidney Sussex
    19. (9) Churchill
    20. (16) Kings
    21. (22) Peterhouse
    22. (18) Magdalene
    23. (24) New Hall
    24. (25) Homerton
    25. (17) Girton
    26. (26) Lucy Cavendish
    27. (24) Hughes Hall
    28. (28) Wolfson
    29. (29) St Edmund's
    if you were to put the tompkins table onto a graph for the last 5 years, you'd see that nearly all colleges jump all over the shop.
    The percentages alone seperating them are often so tiny as to not warrent significant difference. I mean some of the colleges might be serperated solely on 2 or 3 students results
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I'm a mature student (27). Luckily (if we are to extrapolate anything from this list), I didn't choose a mature college.

Guess which one I did choose...

That's right, the worst of the rest!
    I'm 28, and frankly couldn't bare the thought of an undergraduate college (no offence intended to undergraduates). I wouldn't choose differently on the basis of the Table, but just hope it doesn't indicate any slackness on the part of the undergraduate there. I'll be an affiliated undergraduate, so already have expectations of undergraduate life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    if you were to put the tompkins table onto a graph for the last 5 years, you'd see that nearly all colleges jump all over the shop.
    The percentages alone seperating them are often so tiny as to not warrent significant difference. I mean some of the colleges might be serperated solely on 2 or 3 students results
    J
    It's got to be unsound anyway... Just like choosing a college for some stupid reason like there's a cute girl in the prospectus who will have left by the time you get there, likewise all these dudes will have got their grades and left. It's up to us, the 2004 entrants, to make the most of out colleges.

This, of course, assumes that markers do not have a bias towards certain colleges (I very much doubt this and hope it's not true!)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tractarian)
    I'm 28, and frankly couldn't bare the thought of an undergraduate college (no offence intended to undergraduates). I wouldn't choose differently on the basis of the Table, but just hope it doesn't indicate any slackness on the part of the undergraduate there. I'll be an affiliated undergraduate, so already have expectations of undergraduate life.

Man... I've seen a bit of the world and academia in my time as well, but I just want to be able to go out to get wrecked and talk to people on the same level of maturity as myself... (I'm an immature wee Irishman with no desire to play bridge with 50yr old men and talk about some old women's grandchildren encouraging them to return to uni...!)

Which college are you off to and which subject?

ReputationRep:
    Man... I've seen a bit of the world and academia in my time as well, but I just want to be able to go out to get wrecked and talk to people on the same level of maturity as myself... (I'm an immature wee Irishman with no desire to play bridge with 50yr old men and talk about some old women's grandchildren encouraging them to return to uni...!)

Which college are you off to and which subject?
    SPS at Wolfson (psychology only). The average age there is 28, so I reckon the bridge players can be easily avoided.

ReputationRep:
    SPS at Wolfson (psychology only). The average age there is 28, so I reckon the bridge players can be easily avoided.
    Oh... I really had no idea whatsoever about it so I guess I developed silly prejudices based on the people in the mature student's prospectus last year... (to be more precise there was some old woman doing English in it and I said like "I don't want to go clubbing with her" to myself)

Ah well...

I'm off to Girton to do medicine and intend to become a psychiatrist.

What do you intend to do with your psychology degree?

ReputationRep:
    I was going to choose a college based on the fact that it had a mummified corpse but then I couldn't remember which one it was. So instead I'm going to apply to Christ's and apply to UCL where they not only have a mummified corpse, but a celebrity mummified corpse in a box.

Hmm well maybe I wasn't actually going to make the decision based solely on the mummy. But it is damn cool!

ReputationRep:
    I think Wolfson is very classy architecture too, the best of the modern colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    I was going to choose a college based on the fact that it had a mummified corpse but then I couldn't remember which one it was. So instead I'm going to apply to Christ's and apply to UCL where they not only have a mummified corpse, but a celebrity mummified corpse in a box.

Hmm well maybe I wasn't actually going to make the decision based solely on the mummy. But it is damn cool!
    It's valid...

ReputationRep:
    the theory behind why some colleges do better than others on the table (even though in effect the differences are only slight) is that some colleges are always going to be more popular than others based on facilities, money location, size ect. whilst a college such as Girton may be less popular as it is located out-of-town, this may put people off without even knowing the place. But anyway... the less popular colleges often end up taking a higher percentage of pooled candidates, so all the "higher level" candidate have already been accepted by their first-choice candidates.

This is shown by the fact that Queen's (last year) gave 3 offers to pooled candidates whilst Girton and fitzwilliam gave 53 and 58 offers through pools respectively.

the point of this is just to show that generally the tompkins table does not show that one college has better teaching quality than others, but that their intake may not be as able as other colleges.

I don't know for sure, this is just a theory backed up by other people I have spoken to.

After all, cambridge is a great uni, and any degree is worth a lot!

ReputationRep:
    It's valid...
    it's odd the kind of things that sway you when picking a uni, as you said the girl on the prospectus, but often things like "the course, the tutorial system" are not the things that persuade you but the things like, the tutor smiled at me at the open day, or they have a cool cat.

ReputationRep:

I am going to Wolfson too. Everyone I met at interview was just 21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    But anyway... the less popular colleges often end up taking a higher percentage of pooled candidates, so all the "higher level" candidate have already been accepted by their first-choice candidates.
    Girton was actually my first choice (this possibly makes it worse!)... I hear Addenbrooks or whatever they call it is as far away in the other direction...

I hope I never have to go there! I just wish either Girton or the faculty of medicine would give me some idea of where I'm going to be living/attending lectures&practicals/etc...

I feel like I'm about to take a leap into the abyss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    I am going to Wolfson too. Everyone I met at interview was just 21.
    Are you trying to upset me?!?

21 would be better than 18, I admit it.

Damn I should have looked into this more!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.