Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Hey, I havent sorted it out yet! and now you have me worried. I am going to call them right away.
    I havent handed in my pn1 yet cos I need my passport as I am travelling next week. I plan to go to my lea this week and let them photocopy it. Do you think I am too late to get an ensuite? :eek:
    I have no idea whether you're too late for an ensuite. The Porter said not to hang about. It depends on how many rich people there are. Maybe the basic rooms (i.e cheaper) are all the rage for impoverished students. I'm not sure which to choose (if I have a choice).

So, you've not sorted your LEA funding? Don't you have a financial guarantee form to send in by 1st August? Maybe it's different for me as an Affiliated student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tractarian)
    I have no idea whether you're too late for an ensuite. The Porter said not to hang about. It depends on how many rich people there are. Maybe the basic rooms (i.e cheaper) are all the rage for impoverished students. I'm not sure which to choose (if I have a choice).

So, you've not sorted your LEA funding? Don't you have a financial guarantee form to send in by 1st August? Maybe it's different for me as an Affiliated student.

Yeah, I have to get it in by 1st Aug. I just called the accommodation lady and she said that most of thier accommodation is ensuite and that there are plenty left - just as long as we get our forms in by August we should get something decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Yeah, I have to get it in by 1st Aug. I just called the accommodation lady and she said that most of thier accommodation is ensuite and that there are plenty left - just as long as we get our forms in by August we should get something decent.
    So, I take it you aren't depending on Student Loans for your financial guarantee.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Robinson jumped up to 16 (which is one of my lucky numbers )

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, we beat Caius . Means nothing anyway, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Must of been lots of Clare lovin' going on with the tutor that week then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Must of been lots of Clare lovin' going on with the tutor that week then.
    Examiners, silly

Can't think how else we'd be up there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    A while back we had a poster telling us that of all the Oxbridge colleges only King's had an enlightened, fair, and just admissions policy. I was actually labelled a "fascist" for opposing its policies, which I feel are discriminatory. I pointed out at the time that the best evidence that King's policy is unwise is its slide down the Tompkins table; having once been among the most prestigious of Cambridge's colleges, it is now consistently firmly in the bottom half, despite retaining considerable resources which should allow it to be extremely competitive. I feel the latest figures further vindicate the argument that discrimination is never a good idea.
    this is the biggest pile of ignorant **** i have ever seen. there is no comment whatsoever to be made about king's slide down the tompkins table reflecting badly on its admissions policy. you seem to suggest that being at cambridge for three years doesnt affect how well students do, rather that the quality of the intake is the deciding factor.

kings has an admissions policy which allows students from non-traditional cambridge backgrounds to have an equal bite of the cherry. it cannot be called discriminatory on grounds of gender or school background; the proportion of acceptances is in fact in very close agreement with the proportion of applications for both those criteria.

as for why students who have been through three years at kings dont have results which put them higher in the table - this question is entirely seperate. if a college has a less prescriptive approach to exam-passing than most in cambridge do (as i believe kings does, in many if not all subjects) whilst still allowing its students to be disproportionally active in university life, this can only be encouraged. the concept of learning-through-involvement should not be forgotten as one of the most unique things about cambridge, and placing ridiculous importance on a table which by its very nature neglects to take this into account, helps noone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    hmph... i blame it squarely on the arts students...

seriously though, i think the medics underperformed this year with respect to the previous 2 years, which might be a factor in all this... though our engineers, amongst which i have a number of friends, seem to have performed very well against all historical precedents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    hmph... i blame it squarely on the arts students...

seriously though, i think the medics underperformed this year with respect to the previous 2 years, which might be a factor in all this... though our engineers, amongst which i have a number of friends, seem to have performed very well against all historical precedents...
    Yeah, but even with your medics "underperforming" you probably kicked our arse in that department :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    {hugs Helenia}
    You're too modest dear Have some confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    {hugs Helenia}
    You're too modest dear Have some confidence
    I think I lost it somewhere today. Don't know why

ReputationRep:
    Awww Helenia needs a hug! {big hugs, even better than Clare love in a can }

Have some of mine Just give it back before interviews

ReputationRep:
    Hugging?! * shiny gets all excited *

ReputationRep:
    Hello shiny
    You two aren't on msn :P bah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Hugging?! * shiny gets all excited *
    *Hugs shiny and Acaila*

And you can have it back for interviews, Acaila, not that you'll need it

ReputationRep:
    I'll need all the help I can get . Getting thrown into questions on subjects I've never studied. That's going to be fun .

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.