Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So it seems I owed Orange £21 from 2 years ago (this was apparently the last bill and according to the DCA, it's pretty common for people to unwittingly default on last payments). I had no idea about it, I was never sent a single e-mail and if they sent anything to my past address, it never reached me. They sold the debt to a DCA, my account was closed and defaulted (I paid as soon as I found out but it was too late).

Isn't this unfair? what can be done about it? I had no reason to default on £21 and I'm now afraid that my credit rating is ruined.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    So it seems I owed Orange £21 from 2 years ago (this was apparently the last bill and according to the DCA, it's pretty common for people to unwittingly default on last payments). I had no idea about it, I was never sent a single e-mail and if they sent anything to my past address, it never reached me. They sold the debt to a DCA, my account was closed and defaulted (I paid as soon as I found out but it was too late).

Isn't this unfair? what can be done about it? I had no reason to default on £21 and I'm now afraid that my credit rating is ruined.
    Put a notice of correction in if possible. They defaulted me, when i shouldnt have owed them any money and they then eventually took it off my credit report. If it doesn't get wiped then it will effect your credit score for 6 years in total i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Put a notice of correction in if possible. They defaulted me, when i shouldnt have owed them any money and they then eventually took it off my credit report. If it doesn't get wiped then it will effect your credit score for 6 years in total i think.
    I did owe them, I just was not aware and nobody informed me of the debt. I was not notified that there was an outstanding balance. As soon as I found out, I paid the amount. So in my case, it's not that I didn't owe them, it's that I did not know I did.

I know it will affect my credit score but I don't know how much - does it mean I will be rejected for loans or other credit? it's just so stupid, I understand if someone is notified and they can't make the payment. There was no month of the year where I was short of £21 in my life. This should not have happened.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    I did owe them, I just was not aware and nobody informed me of the debt. I was not notified that there was an outstanding balance. As soon as I found out, I paid the amount. So in my case, it's not that I didn't owe them, it's that I did not know I did.

I know it will affect my credit score but I don't know how much - does it mean I will be rejected for loans or other credit? it's just so stupid, I understand if someone is notified and they can't make the payment. There was no month of the year where I was short of £21 in my life. This should not have happened.
    It doesn't mean that you point blank will be refused for credit (my partner has a small default that is 5 years old and actually found it slightly easier to get a credit card than me), it could just make it harder than if you didnt have one, it should get better as time goes on though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.