Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VM395 – Motion on Southern Railway 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    52.17%
    On the contrary, No
    26.09%
    Abstain
    21.74%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VM395 – Motion on Southern Railway 2016, barnetlad MP
    This House believes that the level of planned or on-the-day cancellations and delays on Southern Railway is unacceptable, and that this is harming the mental health of many people in the communities they serve, and affecting some businesses. This House believes that the inaction and tacit acceptance of the situation by the Government is unacceptable.

In order to stop the service and industrial relations getting any worse, this House believes the government should step in to remove the current franchise holders and directly run the service.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. The reasoning isn't ideal, but it's a good first step towards complete nationalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Aye. The reasoning isn't ideal, but it's a good first step towards complete nationalisation.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    No. Nationalisation is not the solution.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Whatever the outcome of the vote, I hope the Minister will make good on his earlier pledge to take action.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Convention in RL with things like this is for the motion to forward and pass in division. I (subject to government approval) then make a statement on this matter.

I've already put forward a draft bill with sweeping reforms for the railways, i'll be making final changes to that on Friday night or Saturday (at work 12-9 tomorrow so not much time to be messing around with the finer points of legislation). Ergo you can expect to see a brilliant government bill (i imagine it will be a contender for bill of the term next time) coming forth this weekend and then a statement on southern railways specifically whenever this exits division.
    Seeing a 'brilliant government bill' will surely be a welcome change. I've been toying with rail reforms of my own but I think I will defer to you for the time being and see what your side come up with.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One postal Abstention has been added for seat 13 (jennywenny for Lime-man).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 24
    Noes to the left: 11
    Abstentions: 10

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 90%
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One postal No has been added retrospectively for seat 35 (currently held by banter_lad_m8) following confusion over the appointment of a new MP.

The result is corrected as:
    Ayes to the right: 24
    Noes to the left: 12
    Abstentions: 10

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 92%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.