Corbyn is on the ballot the end of the Labour Party.

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is on the ballot for the leadership and if as expected he wins again there is going to be some MP's leaving that party for sure it could be tens of MP's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Corbyn is on the ballot for the leadership and if as expected he wins again there is going to be some MP's leaving that party for sure it could be tens of MP's

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It will be over 100+ MPs for sure. They'll become the official opposition and it'll be business as usual, albeit with a reduced number.

ReputationRep:
    I hope he gets re-elected.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn should be on the ballot paper. As far as I can tell, the only real merit of Angela Eagle is that she isn't Jeremy Corbyn. I've got no particular attachments to Corbyn but until someone comes up with a genuinely good alternative, I'm sticking with him. If simply to send a very clear message to all of the backstabbing MPs in his own party who have made Corbyn's failure to impress a self-fulfilling prophecy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Corbyn should be on the ballot paper. As far as I can tell, the only real merit of Angela Eagle is that she isn't Jeremy Corbyn. I've got no particular attachments to Corbyn but until someone comes up with a genuinely good alternative, I'm sticking with him. If simply to send a very clear message to all of the backstabbing MPs in his own party who have made Corbyn's failure to impress a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Vote Green, for the real alternative!

I agree about Jeremy Corbyn being on the ballot paper though.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    It will be over 100+ MPs for sure. They'll become the official opposition and it'll be business as usual, albeit with a reduced number.
    I don't think it will reach triple figures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn should just break off with his own party, probably get more votes than 'Labour' in the next GE anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)

No, Green are harming Labours chances by taking away votes, just like the SNP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no fan of Corbyn but this is the correct decision.

Not only that, I want him to win because I find Angela Eagle insufferable.

ReputationRep:
    Angela eagle is an opportunist who will not be popular with the voters. Jeremy Corbyn is hated by his own party. To say this is a crisis for labour is an understatement

ReputationRep:

I don't think alternating from being unelectable to requiring sectioning is the most appealing change.

The Labour fiasco is all very amusing though.

ReputationRep:
    He should be on the ballot paper.he will win. Labour can be the holding pen for the regreessive left. A sad way to go for a noble party but inevitable.

Moderate, decent labour MPs should leave- I suspect they are cowards though. Time will tell.

ReputationRep:

As much as I'd love to vote Green, the absolute priority has to be getting rid of the Conservatives so until our disgraceful voting system is fixed, we must vote Labour.

ReputationRep:
    Since May has won the Tory election I am staying with Labour and supporting Comrade Corbyn. There is only 1 thing worse than a Keynesian ............. a Social Justice Regressive.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps contrary to popular thought, I don't believe other Labour MPs to be necessarily evil or devious. In fact, some have made the opposite accusation that Corbyn himself embodies this more so than his party members purely by his dogged stubbornness to persist as leader of a party who simply don't trust him.

You have to be realistic in politics. If there was any doubt in his ability originally, there can be little doubt now: Corbyn's popularity ratings have drastically dropped since the result of the EU referendum according to recent YouGov polls (we can dispute the exact accuracy of such polls but the general fact still stands). Although there has been a great wave of new members joining the Labour party in recent days, these numbers simply haven't been vetted properly and so their exact political ideology is still subject to speculation and ultimately unclear. They could well be joining in a final fight to support Corbyn, but that certainly may not be the case either.

There's one thing, and it is possibly the only thing (at least from my point of view), that you can admire about the Conservative party in recent days: despite their differences and the utter chaos they've created beforehand with this whole referendum, they've been able to come together quickly and decisively with Theresa May (a #Remain campaigner herself it has to be said) at the helm and ready for action. The question I have to put to those on the left (of which I include myself) is do you really wish to see the Labour party crumble? Because now that Corbyn resides on the ballot paper, he has every chance of winning. Nonetheless, such an outcome, as I am sure you are aware, will be the end of a united Labour party - that or at least more serious inner cabinet conflict will ensue.

The Labour party - and its members - have a crucial decision to make come the next leadership election. I may not like Angela Eagle (in fact I've been highly critical of her 'campaign', if you can call it that, so far) but if she will stabilise the party then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    As much as I'd love to vote Green, the absolute priority has to be getting rid of the Conservatives so until our disgraceful voting system is fixed, we must vote Labour.
    I'm with you there.

If you needed any further proof that Corbyn supporters are cult-like in their behaviour go to Angela Eagle's facebook page and look at her RIP post to Jo Cox. Hundreds of Corbyn supporters commenting #keepcorbyn and abusing Eagle. Absolutely disgusting and vile behaviour, incredibly similar to Bernie or Busters.

ReputationRep:
    Another point I'd like to add to the above is that without a united Labour party the left wing electorate will ultimately be left scattered amongst fragmented political factions without a voice against the formidable Tories and the new populist addition UKIP - without their popular figurehead Nigel Farage though, the Tories have even more chance of swinging in certain sections of the UKIP base too.

I can't see them ever losing power at this rate.

ReputationRep:
    There's now two very clear choices for Labour:

a) Ditch Corbyn and provide a realistic centre-left alternative to the Tories.

b) Keep him and become an umbrella organisation for protest groups with zero chance of ever winning power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    And the loss of the votes that go with the labour brand, as well as the votes from the Corbynite wing.

There will be a lot of bad blood and it will all stand in stark contrast to Theresa May's stable leadership.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.