Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m predicted 4 A*s but I don’t know if I want to carry on with 4. I know they will prefer 4 A*s, but if I was to drop I’ve been advised not to drop Maths, (I take maths, English, Latin, History) because US unit like it. But I don’t want to drop History or Latin because I want to do English at uni and they’re great for that.

long story short, (tl;dr) is 4 A levels low-key preferred ?

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure it is.

of the five people admitted in my school year to Ivies and Ivy tier unis for Fall 2016, three people took 5 A levels and 2 of us took 4 A levels. (people with 3 applied but didn't get in to any good ones)

That's not to say you won't get in with 3. But I'm sure it's better to do more

ReputationRep:
    US schools look at the overall difficulty of your courses, not whether you meet certain requirements. It is also an advantage to have unrelated subjects. They tend to value difficult subjects, such as maths, science, and foreign language, particularly classics. In the US, everyone studies maths, science, history/geography/government, English, and foreign language. If you keep all 4, you have most of that. To English universities, maths is irrelevant, which is why you are being advised to drop it. There were publicized cases where students were rejected by Oxford and went to Harvard or Stanford. One had all A*s in English, French, Biology, and Chemistry. Another had all A*s in Math, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Latin, and Greek.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.