Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I joined the forums because I have no where else to turn to.

Long story short: My mum wants to move to America and next year I am completing my GCSEs. I am very against this idea and heavily protest this against my mother, but she does not budge. This is because I love the schools here with their fair uniforms and my amazing site. High Schools in America are so bland and horrible. Another reason why I don't want to go is because is I am terrified of the gun laws, the outright horrible presidential candidates and the process of getting new friends to survive the battlefield that is High School. I am not very sociable and can be called a "nerd".

Anyways; what will happen to my grades? If I do take my GCSEs and move to America, will I need to re-do the test or study more and take their test? I am beyond confused and need desperate help :afraid:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Are you American or whats your mums link with America?

Is the move before or after your GCSE's.

Normally if you do the standard qualifications for your country, then there will be some degree of recognition, which cna be used as credits (easier if they were IGCSE- the international version), but I dont know how that would be worked into High School. I will ahve a look for you, but hopefully soemone with experience of the US education system can tell you.

ReputationRep:
    999tigger I've previously lived in America for roughly 9 years, I hale from the land of poles (Poland, bad joke there). I moved here back in November 2012. The move is before my GCSEs, but if I am secure with the answer I need, I believe I can push the move until afterwards.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Semis)
    999tigger I've previously lived in America for roughly 9 years, I hale from the land of poles (Poland, bad joke there). I moved here back in November 2012. The move is before my GCSEs, but if I am secure with the answer I need, I believe I can push the move until afterwards.
    It's really a bit beyond me and i'd need to do some research so its probably better someone else with actual experience assists you.

I was asking about nationality as i was considering if you had options to leave home and stay in the UK, which is really a whole different angle.

Logically though. If you moved before you sat your GCSE, then you get no qualifcations, which means when you go to a US school you cnat show them anything.

If you wait till after then you have completed that level of education. Even better if you cna sit the IGCSE, perhaps ask your school about that, although it may be too late. the I is for international. so its more easily recognised in other countries.

There are apparently six British schools in the US although, thats not really very many. I was suprised when you said they were all dull. id expect for such a large country theres great variety. I'd be a bit wary of the guns though.

Fulbright Commission might be able to offer you a bit of guidance.

They have a section on the International Baccalaureate
    , which could be a logical step after GCSE. It is taught in the US and will be recognised there, so you would just need to find such a school.

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in.../ib-programmes

http://www.ibo.org/

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable thna me will be able to assist you.

ReputationRep:
    999tigger Thanks so much for the help anyways! :^_^: I'll check out those links and do some research myself. These forums are not so bad...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Semis)
    999tigger Thanks so much for the help anyways! :^_^: I'll check out those links and do some research myself. These forums are not so bad...
    These forums are active if you dont get any luck on here.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...system-771399/

A post wont do you any harm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.