The Student Room Group

American system to the English system

I have lived around the world and therefore I have a mixture of education systems. From grades 6-10 I was in the American system and I have now just finished my first year in A Levels in the English system. Being in the American system during grades 6-10 means I only have my semester exams and end of year exams and no GCSE's. This is causing a problem with apply to veterinary science at university as they all state the GCSE's are needed. I did exams in the American system just not specifically GCSE's. Has anyone heard/know of anyone in the same position? And does anyone know if I can translate my American grades into equivalent ones of GCSE's?
These circumstances are bureacratic nightmares, it might be easiest/simplest to just... take the GCSEs. Is it anything in particular that they want, eg proof of maths/English competency?
Reply 2
Original post by Rather_Cynical
These circumstances are bureacratic nightmares, it might be easiest/simplest to just... take the GCSEs. Is it anything in particular that they want, eg proof of maths/English competency?

They want Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language and Maths :frown: I was hoping there was a way around it without having to take them.
I think there might be, if your selected list of Universities will accept AP/HS Diplomas as equivalent. The standards of education is quite different and you might find Universities aren't all equally accommodating, so you might really be missing out on some good courses.

It's quite late this evening, but by tomorrow morning it's never a bad idea to phone some Universities you intend to go to and explain to the admissions tutor(s)/departments about your conundrum. I presume you're quite competent at subjects like maths/science, so you should find most of the content straightforward and won't lose a lot of time for learning/revising extra material.

English language may have controlled assessments and coursework, which can be a problem if you plan on taking GCSEs but leave it to late to let your exams officer be aware of what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest